It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ants
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:03 am 

We have had ants everywhere this year. They are on EVERY surface - fences, hoses, walkways, trellis, you name it! A continuous line to and fro - since early spring and still here! Have had them several times in the house also. Is anyone else experiencing this or is it just those of us who live in the "woods"?

Post subject: Re: Ants
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:19 pm 

Same here. Trails of them across paths and past doorways - we had one recent incursion when I had to mix a bit of spinosad in water and keep spraying it around the fireplace and hearth until they backed off. I probably took out a few hundred thousand in the process.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:20 am 

Never thought of that! I used a formula I got off Pinterest: 1 c sugar, 1/2 c warm water, & 1 T Borax soap. Soaked cotton balls in it & placed it on the trails. They came after it like crazy and I had to control my hubby so he wouldn't get the orange oil spray as it looked like we were just feeding the entire population! After 2 days they were gone! My neighbor tried it also and it worked for her, too. But I don't want to do that outside around the garden. Maybe this rain will help get rid of them! I have just never seen this many before in the 20+ years we've lived here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:39 pm 

As an alternative that is completely edible, use molasses, sugar, and bread yeast. 1/4 cup of molasses and sugar. 1 teaspoon of yeast. Mix them into a gooey mess and smear some of the mess onto some pieces of cardboard. Place the cardboard along their trails. I had to kickstart the ants by trailing a little bit of the goo off the cardboard. Once they got the taste they found a way onto the cardboard. Then they fed at the trough until the stuff was gone. I refilled it a few days later and they continued to feast in ever decreasing numbers. Eventually they were gone.

I believe the yeast works by contaminating the food supply inside the ant mound.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:15 pm 

Thanks so much for the tip. During the very cold spell we had, we also had another ant invasion! So we just kept spraying them with orange oil although I know that does nothing to kill the source. I'll try the recipe you gave as I know they'll be back!