It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:37 am 

I have had my compost [5 feet in depth X 6 foot wide X 4 feet deep] for almost 20 years now and great success with table scraps, some grass clippings now and then, and mulched leafs.
My problem is roots are going up into the bottom of the compost and they are about 12 inches up from the base. When I turn the compost I starting running into these roots and it seems like they are trying to take over the bed.
My plan is to dig all the way to the base [about a third of the compost at a time], dig out the roots, and place stepping type stones in the bottom of the beds. Is this a good plan or is there something out there that will slow down or stop the root growth?
Need help in Waco

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:32 pm 

What kind of roots?

Why not simply relocate the compost? Every year I start a new compost pile, and over the course of about five years, move around in the same general area in the back yard. The compost I'm using this year was piled up two years ago. Last year's pile of compost is just sitting there, and I have a new one I'm building now. I don't have much in the way of roots in it, though there will always be some because it's a nutrition rich medium that attracts tree roots and such.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:53 pm 

You know when you build a compost when you are first getting into Organics you build a good one. Four corner post are 4X4's with screen meshing, so it's a little hard to think about moving the location to another area.
Roots are roots, much like you find in the ground anywhere. When you get a soil rich mixture like in a compost, I guess they grow in the direction of where the best nutrients are.
How about answering my original question.
Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:45 am 

I wouldn't waste the time and money putting pavers in the bottom of the compost. I would put in a new bin beside the existing one, tying it to two of the existing posts. You'll see a lot of bins like that, allowing the contents to be turned over completely when they're moved from one spot to the next.

You need to draw down your compost pile or bin completely every year so the roots can't get as established as they have.

(This image came from the web site http://www.rootsimple.com/2011/06/compo ... -new-book/)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:46 am 

Thank you.