It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:42 pm 

I had a weeping willow die in the drought. :cry: didnt help that my sprinkler system wasn't working at that time either. All is fixed and I am looking to fill the spot in my backyard with small multi seasonal interest tree. I live in north east tx. and the spot for the tree is partial to full sun. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:50 am 

How tall are you wanting this tree to be? There are some great small-ish native trees and some large shrubs that can be pruned as trees, like Texas Mountain Laurel with beautiful flowers in the spring.

Check out the Smoketree, Golden ball lead tree, Desert Willow. A flame-leaf sumac will also give you beautiful fall color and lovely flowers in the spring with lots of bees.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:34 pm 

My weeping willow was about 25-30 ft. so probably something around that size. I have a 0.28 acre residential lot so my backyard huge. Do you think any of the Cherry trees would survive in texas heat? Would something like a Kousa dogwood work? I know they are considered a under story tree so i guess they would need partial to heavy shade.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:20 am 

If the spot has regular water, but keeping in mind that sprinkler systems can go out (as yours did before) a tree that tolerates both water and drought would be a wise choice.

A tree more upright and less spreading would be good - you'll be surprised how fast a wide tree can both appear to shrink your yard and possibly annoy the neighbors if it overhangs a fence. I like the sweetgum - it would be fine in a yard with a sprinkler system but it is a tree I've chosen because it can stand xeriscape conditions as well. It's lovely in general and beautiful in the fall. Almost any tree is going to have some kind of fruits - you do have to be prepared for the balls that this tree drops. It isn't small, though, it's more along the size lines of the willow you lost.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:20 pm 

I have had some sweet gums at past houses that got pretty big. With my backyard i dont think i want try and chance it. I agree with your comment about the horizontal use of space (a wide branching tree will take up way to much of my yard). I do have some tree lining the western side of my neighbors yard and i dont want to get to crazy with it. I will keep thinking bout it...maybe by fall i will have it figured out. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:28 pm 

The trees Sandi listed are a good start (though a neighbor of mine has a huge Desert Willow - I didn't know they got so big!) I have a couple of multi-stem vitex trees in my yard - they're lovely and smell good, beautiful in May and June, but you do mow down a lot of seedlings around them. Redbud is a great small tree. Both of these are small trees.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:53 am 

Cherry trees are not the best fit for this area. The roughleaf dogwood is native to our area but will need shade. I really enjoy our native Lacey oak which gets about 30 ft. Peachy colored new growth in spring and fall color.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan