It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: grasshopper control
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:14 am 

the topic this week is about 1 month too late. my best garden ever is now grasshopper poop, but i actually tried the suggestion of surround, and was unable to find a local source. and at $60 a bag, it is tough to swallow. esp to simply put off the inevitable. the surround is vulnerable to being rinsed off, and since i am trying to protect about 4 acres of trees, berries and gardens, we would be talking about several hundreds if not thousands of dollars. and still no dead hoppers. i went instead with de and nolo bait, and used kaolin clay/soap as per the dirt dr website to try to protect the fruit trees and tomatoes and strawberries. so far, i am seeing few dead hoppers, but they seem to be spending all day hanging on elevated areas. the areas of infestation are expanding from what was a narrow strip with my garden as the dessert line at the cafe. i expect lots of hand-wringing from the townsfolk, and suggest that retail operations would do well to invest in some surround and some nolo.

btw, what can we expect from the cicadas that i am hearing about? and is there any reason to attempt to control them. i certainly don't have any more to donate to the cause. but i do hope to have a fall garden, once the hoppers clear out.

Post subject: Re: grasshopper control
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:43 am 

howard, you need to update your data source concerning nolo as you are giving out incorrect info.

http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/noloinfo.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:09 pm 

my situation may not be unique, but it most certainly is a worst case scenario. here are some pictures that will give one the willies, if you have valuable landscaping/trees/vines/gardens. the sheer numbers in the plague have made for almost complete destruction. a few fruit trees are hanging on as are some of the tomatoes. nothing is thriving, except the chickens.

http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l54 ... ue%202012/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nolo bait is effective only on young grasshoppers.

Here's some additional information: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Grasshopper-C ... vq4718.htm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:14 am 

Doug wrote:
Nolo bait is effective only on young grasshoppers.

Here's some additional information: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Grasshopper-C ... vq4718.htm

my reading says it can infect adults which in turn infects eggs and thus babies next year. that is my hope, but with all the neighbors hoppers, i'm not sure i have a lot of faith. the only ones that miss them are my chickens.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:42 pm 

I had a issue with grass hoppers, until I got some guineas, and they don't scratch like the chickens, so more tearing up stuff. Oh, they will make a dusting wallow, but nothing like the chickens do.
When I had my full force (20ish)of guineas, I couldn't hardley find a bug in my 2+ acre homesite, no ticks, fleas, grasshoppers etc.
But all good things must end, and the hawks had several nice meals.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:43 pm 

my plague would have required 100000 guineas. and my coyotes are grateful too.