It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:30 pm 

At the community garden here in Austin where I garden, I saw four parrots. :o They are green and orange and just like I've seen in a pet store. They were eating sunflower seeds. Has anyone else seen parrots around? Will they live year round? I was just wondering if this is highly unusual or what I could do to help them out if they need it. It is just so strange to see them around!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:25 pm 

amodekraft-
I believe what you may be seeing is a Monk Parakeet, but the only distinctive orange I recall is on the beaks. These are highly talkative birds that build nest communities. They are not native but have been able to establish colonies after escaping from captive sites. Get a digital picture and I will ID it.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:40 pm 

Thanks for the info! I did some internet searches and they sure look like the Monk parrots. Turns out they are fairly common in Austin. But I quess since some people think they are pests, they don't need any type of feeding. You know, they look healthier than any of the birds I've seen in a pet store!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:48 am 

Monk Parakeets a pest????

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........

Compared to my macaw they are virtually mute.

It isn't unusual for them to look better in the wild than in pet shops - in good pet shops that have any business selling parrots you are seeing immature birds. In pet shops that have no business selling parrots you are seeing what happens when parrots don't get a proper diet. If you want to make friends with these little guys try some pine nuts - they tend to love them... with a little work you might get one to make friends - especially if it was hand raised by someone who forgot that whole "birds can fly away' deal.

Snap a pic if you can, these guys are entertaining to watch and very smart.