It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Take all patch
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:21 pm 

From my research, I have what appears to be Take All Patch in my St Augustine yard. Have very few grubs and soil tests show no glaring abnormalities. Yard was very healthy and growing well until the patch started showing up. I'm fairly certain this IS NOT brown patch. I water about every 5 - 7 days at 1-1.5 ". Any recommendations for a specific compost to use as a top dressing for the yard? I used cornmeal at 20lbs per 1000' to no effect. I'm considering using vinegar, but would like to use it in conjunction with a definitive treatment.

Have been organic here since buying home, about 2.5 years. Yard is St. Augustine sod about 3 years old.

Post subject: Re: Take all patch
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:37 pm 

Where is "here," and do you have any photos you can post?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:03 pm 

Dallas Ft. Worth area of Texas. Lots of filtered sun and some full sun. Good sandy loam soil and a wet spring this year. Sod was grown in black clay, but the clay has loosened considerably since and I'm getting good water penetration into at least 6-8" of soil.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:50 am 

Looks kike my last post may have been edited by a moderator. I did include a link to some pics, but it has been removed. Note: grass blades, runners and roots are dead. Here's a pic of my actual lawn:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:31 am 

I doubt it was removed, but did you start a couple of threads with the same question? Look in the "active topics" and see if you can find it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:03 am 

Oops - yes I did. Forgot to remove the other. I did edit it, as I couldn't remove it. Still don't know why the rest of my message didn't make it through on this forum the first time, but the pic I've loaded is just like the pic in the link I tried to use previously.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:29 pm 

Yeah, I'm the moderator and I will never edit anyone's messages.

How much corn meal did you use? I used to suggest 10 pounds per 1,000 square feet one time. Now I'm starting to recommend 20 pounds per 1,000 and a second dose at the same rate after 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:04 am 

My apologies, David. Couldn't figure out why not all of the first post made it. Thank YOU much for answering my post.

I did use 20lbs corn meal per thousand (actually a little more)about 1 month ago, but the problem kept spreading. I recently mixed a mulch of composted cotton burs (2 cu ft), 1/2 cu ft coffee grounds, 1.5 cu ft organic topsoil w/ finely shredded hardwood mulch and poultry manure and about 1 cu ft of sandy loam. I laid this mixture out at about 1/2' thickness and watered it in well. I had spread granulated molasses on the yard about 1 month previous. I just completed this about 5 days ago and planned on raking it a bit where it appears to be too thick (shooting for about 1/4" thickness).
My soil PH shows to be at 6.6, but I think that's because I may have included more underlying soil than necessary (about 6-8" deep) for the soil test. The grass is actually growing in about 1.5 inches of black clay on top of sandy loam. I understand that one way of stopping take all patch is to lower the ph enough to kill it out.
One last thing: I have a 50lb bag of soluble potash (22%), magnesium (11%), and sulphur (22%). My soil report suggested that I add the potassium and mag to this area. Should I follow my initial treatment with this addendum?

whew!
Thanks much in advance

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:38 pm 

One reason it may have appeared to continue spreading was that the grass had already been attacked and needed a little more time to die. I've never had corn meal not work. I have had fungus so bad that it barely kept up with it, but it does work...at least for me. The time I could not keep up with it was a year when it rained 50 inches in 100 days. I doubt that is your situation. It doesn't sound like you did anything to hurt anything. I'd redo the corn meal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:05 pm 

Thanks. I'll add more...................

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:26 pm 

Please let us know if that does not work. Some people report that corn meal has no effect. I'd like to try and figure out what is different about their use or situation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:18 am 

Will do............

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:26 am 

What you might all try is a spraying of Garrett Juice Plus, 1-2 oz of orange oil, 1 tbs of Bio Wash (not Plant Wash) and 8 oz (all per gallon of water) of grocery store hydrogen peroxide. This is basically the formula that was used in the successful rose rosette experiment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:10 am 

I may try that in a couple of weeks. Just applied corn meal at 30lbs per thousand, granulated molasses and green sand after a very heavy aeration (the aeration should cut down on my need to water as much). I intend to apply sulphur next week to further acidify the soil. As of this point, more than half my back yard is dead, but I haven't noticed any more progression of the fungus. Hopefully, something in the mix of treatments I've applied will work. Any recommendations for a kick start fertilizer other than what I've already done?

Thanks again for your input.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:58 pm 

I have to wonder how many square feet Howard's concoction will cover???