It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:05 pm 

One of three 25+ year old yaupons in the front of our home is showing bark damage. This three-trunk, 30' tree is next to a walkway that gets the hottest summer afternoon/evening sun, and we believe this damage is a result of reflected heat from the summer from hell (2011), since it’s never happened before. The other trunk on this tree, and the trunks on the other two yaupons which do not get that reflected heat are fine. What can we do to help this very valuable and loved tree? The damage is in the 4 to 5 foot area above the ground, facing the walkway. Please advise, and thanks!
Photo attached.

Attachments:
TreeDamage.jpg
TreeDamage.jpg [ 69.71 KiB | Viewed 5999 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:00 am 

Make sure it's not buried too deeply. even though it's an older specimen, during the summer water it deeply 1x a week. If the bark comes off all the way around the branch, you may lose it.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:49 pm 

Do you have a photo of the entire tree? I'm wondering if this is two limbs from a joint that might have disease? Sometimes trees with close multiple stems can have problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:52 pm 

The rest of this great tree looks 100% healthy. I'm very careful to watch my trees for stress, etc. This is the only part of the three yaupons that looks to be in trouble. Root flare is exposed, but I might have a bit too much mulch around the area right now. Will thin that out and will most certainly give this tree a good deep soaking once a week while it's so hot.....thanks for that tip! Did treat the two affected trunk areas with the Rabit Hill Farms Tree Trunk Goop earlier this week, and will retreat as sprinkler or rain (yea, in our dreams) dictates. Thanks for taking time to respond!
I'm worried, but hopeful!