It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: GIRDLED TREE
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:42 am 

Two of three arborists say "cut it down." I can't! 20 year old oak tree with BIG girdled root. The third tree man is going to remove the girdled root. Will someone speculate on the chances? Should the portion of the root growing into the trunk be removed, or simply serere that root farther out? The tree man does plan to deep feed...

http://dallastexas.ezhoster.com/GIRDLED ... _TREE.html

Post subject: Re: GIRDLED TREE
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:03 am 

Is the arborist going to carefully remove the root from close contact with the tree, or simply cut off the growing end of it?

How does the tree look, beyond having a girdling root? Is the top healthy? Full of galls or bugs? Half dead? Completely leafed out?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:56 am 

He talked about using a router bit he has. He intends to severe the root, then route the root away where it makes contact with the trunk. I have to believe he's going to be careful and not cut any of trunk. He calls it an experiement that he might learn from.
I initinally contacted him about my sick tree thinking it was nutrient deficient, not knowing about the girdled root. His firm was going to deep root feed. He confessed later that he only looked at the tree from the street on his first visit, and didn't see the root trouble. On his second visit is when he discovered the root problem. I met him at the house on the second visit, and we talked about the possibilities. I think he was hesitant to cut the root, but I told him I realize the tree might die, and that without root removal it was sure to die.
Now, about its health: Several branch ends are missing leaves. The leaves are small, light green. I see no bugs on the tree. The brances with the missing leaves appear to be dead (not pliable and easily snap in two). I've seen this condition for at least 2-3 years. I first thought it was chlorosis, so that's why I said o.k. to deep root fertilization. But I did research, got two other arborist opinions, and found out the truth about girdling.
Here's a link with my root/tree pics, with root exposed

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:58 pm 

You can do the sick tree treatment right now and help this tree a lot. And now that the root flare has been exposed, leave it exposed (it is supposed to be above dirt, not buried). Even if the tree dies, the sick tree treatment is not specific to a specific tree or disease, it is intended to make the tree healthier through healthy soil, so if you have to put in a new tree in the future, the site will be in good shape.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:45 pm 

Howard had a girdled root removed and it weakened the tree so much that it fell over. That was several years ago. Be careful.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:25 pm 

Good to know!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:33 am 

OH, THANK YOU!! I have located all items locally and will apply ASAP. Today, I'm leaning (no pun intended) away from root removal. I don't see any major roots on that tree side, so I suspect gravity will take the tree down.

Post subject: GIRDLED TREE UPDATE
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:47 am 

I hired Preservation Organic Tree Service, a Dallas Texas tree company. Their plan is to remove the offending root, deep feed with their organic soil mix and inject the trunk with a process they called "arborjet". The arborist didn't think the root removal will affect stability since it is an established, mature tree with some good root flare. He said the tree has 30% dieback (maybe not his exact word), and at 50% he would have real concerns. Although I only water once a week (several hours with an impulse sprinkler), he suspects excessive water (leeching nutrients past the root zone). He suggested that I reduce water and watch the tree for any signs. He told me not to remove any dead branches until his processes were complete, hoping for growth at the "dead limbs". I have a hound dog aerator, he said "use it".
This is my 4th arborist. The first two wanted to take the tree out at $400.00. I'll spend double that within the year, but it's worth it. They gave me hope!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:52 am 

Fully established trees rarely need additional watering.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:35 am 

My goal has always been to keep the grass green, I never realized that the tree was getting too much water. I guess I should wait for signs of grass fatigue and only then add water. I certainly plan to reduce the water. It looks like I have to re-think the water process at my home.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:46 am 

How often are you watering your grass? An established lawn needs only 1" to 1.5" a week!

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:26 pm 

I've measured it several times using a rain gauge. There's only .5-1.00 inches when I'm done, which is at least 4 hours. I'v tried the tuna cans, same results. I'm sure it's not equal amounts throughout the yard, I use impulse sprinklers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:07 am 

Preservation Organic Tree Service cut the root. They also did an arborjet trunk injection and root zone feed. I excavated the root zone two weeks ago, anticipating the basework. I'm seeing dying leaves throughout the tree, occuring after the arborjet service BUT before the root cut. I'm really not sure what's going on. I posted the cut root at

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:31 am 

Good photos. When you look at the trajectory of that root you can see that about half of the tree is involved, that the trunk grew over the top of the girdling root and it is now within the heart of the tree. It looks like cutting it out prevents the root from expanding further into the base of the tree. I've seen trees grow over stationary or solid things (who hasn't seen a chain or old clothesline mechanisms embedded in a tree?) that become surrounded by the wood, and it looks like this root will be lodged in the heartwood, but hopefully the cambium will reconnect as the tree grows larger.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:14 pm 

I'm glad you give it some hope. The tree tech didn't want to cut it at all. He had to call the arborist and confirm.

I cleared the root zone three weeks ago. My wife suspects that's why I have sudden leaf dying, is that a possibility? Is there any other reasons for several branches suddenly losing leaves, which started one week after arborjet/root zone feeding BUT before the root cut? I posted the entire tree after everything at

I attached the pic. taken 6/24/2012 of the tree with all processes done.