It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Japanese Maple
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:22 am 

I live in a townhome community and my neighbor cut down her tree that was shading my Weeping Japanese Maple. I do not want to lose it, so what are my options for cover? Anyone have ideas? It is nestled between a house wall and my retaining wall in an interior courtyard which faces West. If I have a trellis built, the overhang must be great enough to keep the sun off the tree, but then I won't be able to enjoy it. Would I be better off taking out the tree and putting in a sun loving tree? I would hate to destroy a perfectly good tree....because my neighbor decided she didn't want to keep her tree.....

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Japanese Maple
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:33 pm 

You may have to do something temporary while deciding what your permanent solution is. It will burn to a crisp quickly if nothing is done immediately. You could build or place a trellis there, but until a vine is think enough to cover it, you may have to place a tarp or something over it. You're right though, the other solution is to remove it to put a more suitable tree. The choice is yours.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:40 pm 

If I can get it through the Summer with some type shade device, could it withstand the Fall, Winter and Spring sun without shade protection? Again, I would hate to have to destroy it. Know of anyone who could come remove it professionally and give it a new home?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:36 am 

That would be the work of any landscape company. I cannot recommend one here. Check with your friends and neighbors to see if they have had any landscaping done lately to get some references. We are still very hot usually through September, so your shade would have to remain till then....at least.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan