It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:18 pm 

I have 3 pots that have a single tomato plant in each. They have been doing great and and looked healthy. Then all of a sudden I noticed a leaf curing and drying out. Then I noticed a few more. I removed some semi- tall grass near the pots, and put them up on 5 gallon buckets away from any grass, as I was unsure if that was the issue or not. I did dust the plants with diatomaceous earth, but I cannot tell if it has helped or not. I do notice new leaves putting on, but they are drying on the tips too. Before seeing the drying curling leaves I saw a gnat type insect on them that has a black body but clear wings and is nearly transparent and is about 1/32 inch long, very, very tiny. I sprayed them with very, very dilute dawn dishwashing liquid and water which helped that issue for a while, then afterwards is when I noticed the drying, curling leaves. I am now seeing these gnat type creatures again.

Any suggestions on trying to salvage my poor tomato plants?

Mickee :?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:10 am 

Look at the leaves that are drying closely. Do you see any spots on them, like something has sucked the juices out of it?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:41 pm 

No there are no spots on them. I have inspected them closely. It seems the drying starts at the tip of the leaf and progresses upward toward the stem. I tried removing the drying ones in case it could affect the other surrounding ones. I have dusted with sulfur now too. I want to say they seem some better, but not sure. On one plant the drying is even on the tips of the brand new growth that is only about 1/16 inch long. I still do pick off the little bugs that are black with clear wings and when I take them off they are kind of a web consistency.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:09 am 

how often are you watering? Does it seem to be dying from the bottom of the plants upwards?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:05 am 

The stem seems healthy, but it is just really random leaves that are dying. It seems that 2 of them are doing better, but one I may eventually lose. It doesn't seem to be putting on new growth, whereas the others are. It is hard to say but I probably water every other day. I always feel beneath the soil to check for moisture. I don't believe I am over watering.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:11 pm 

My best guess is that you are overwatering.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:51 pm 

Thank you for that suggestion. I will try to let them dry out a bit more before watering again. I do have these in the black nursery type pots, but large ones. They drain well and do seemingly dry out pretty good within a day, and on hot days sooner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:20 pm 

Put your whole finger in the soil to check for moisture. I never water that often, this time of year.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:41 pm 

I do put my whole finger in to test for moisture. I am happy to report that I still have all 3 tomato plants. One has 4 blooms on it too. Now that I have them set up on 5 gallon buckets, off the ground, and away from the fence they seemingly are doing better. New growth coming on nearly daily and now finally blooms on at least one of them. So, not sure what the problem was. I an keeping sulfur on them and the bugs seem to be lessened. I am in Texas where the weather is rather warm, not as warm as it will get, but still quit warm during the hot part of the day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:28 am 

I'm in Texas too.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:25 pm 

Maybe, by watering we have different ideas on how much?? Could that be? when I water, I don't measure but am guessing like 1/2 - 3/4 cup of water per pot? I do that not every day but sometimes every other day. Should that be too much? They are doing better and blooming now. No little tomatoes yet though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:45 pm 

It would be most helpful if you posted photos. Depending on the pots and drainage, that could be too much or too little.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:39 pm 

I can do that, but how do i post a picture? I used great restraint this evening and did not water them at all. I feel neglectful not watering them, but did feel pretty deep and it is moist, not soggy, but just damp. I am going back outside now to take photo's and then see if I can post them. If it is more than copy and paste, I will need instructions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:00 pm 

Attachment:
File comment: I think this is the best shot of the leaves in general.
Smaller Tomato Plant A.jpg
Smaller Tomato Plant A.jpg [ 58.88 KiB | Viewed 11398 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:05 pm 

Attachment:
File comment: Here is the pot, tomato, and cage. All are identical, but this plant is the healthiest I have. It has a few blooms on it.
smaller tomato Plant B.jpg
smaller tomato Plant B.jpg [ 204.63 KiB | Viewed 11395 times ]