It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Azaleas?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:14 am 

I have attached information about Azaleas I found on the Dirt Doctor's web site.
I recently sent him pictures of my 10 year old Azaleas, but have not hear back as of this date.
All of their leaves are yellow, and this is the first year the blombs were very few - almost none on two of them. They are all in direct sun most of the day, so I know that's hard on them.
I have a great program of bed preparation because there a lush roses right next to the azaleas.
My questions are these:
1. I want to transplant them to a shady area in the back of my properity, and I want to know if I can trim them back before transplanting? All three are about 4' X 4.'
2. If I don't move them, again can I trim them back, dig thewm up, re-do the beds, and then replant again?
Please give me some advise.
Trying to attach pictures so you can see the shape they are in. The upload failed due to the file being too large (one picture???)

Azalea bed prep. Mix 50% shredded hardwood bark, cedar or shredded coconut fiber with 50% finished compost. Add a 5 gallon bucket of lava sand and a 1 gallon bucket of greensand per cubic yard of mix. Thoroughly moisten the mixture prior to placing it in the bed - very important. Excavate 3” and place 15” of the above mix onto the beds. The entire mixture can be put above ground if it doesn’t block drainage. If it needs to be lowered, remove as little of the existing soil as possible. The top of the bed should be flat and the sides sloped at a 45 degree angle.

Post subject: Re: Azaleas?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:01 am 

It is possible to post photos in this forum. Below the "post a reply" form is a box and form called "upload attachment." Take the digital photo, save it on your computer where you can find it, and if the photo is huge, you might photoshop or use picasa or another photo editor and reduce it to about 800 pixels wide so it doesn't fill the entire monitor. Where the form says "file name," use the browse button and go to that folder and file on your computer and select it. If you want to add some text about the image, the file comment box is for that. When you finish writing in the "post a reply" box and send the message, the whole thing will load.

It sounds like your azaleas are very unhappy. They are typically an acid soil understory plant (in the places where they are native) and even the newer hybrid types still prefer that kind of habitat.

Common advice these days is adding used coffee grounds to the beds around azaleas and they perk up (pun intended!) from that. If you don't drink coffee, many of the coffee establishments will let you have their used grounds.

This is not the time of year to be pruning or moving azaleas. Wait until fall after the first hard freeze. Have the destination beds prepared (and you can use coffee grounds there also) when you're ready to move them.

Howard or another moderator may have some more azalea specific information for you. This is my 2 cents worth - mainly, how to make them a little less chlorotic and to wait to move them.

Post subject: Re: Azaleas?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:05 pm 

Attachment:
Flowers-Garden-April-2012 003 (516x387).jpg
Flowers-Garden-April-2012 003 (516x387).jpg [ 224.15 KiB | Viewed 4365 times ]

Let's hope this picture is attachable.