It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 pm 

I've got several webworm webs. I know all about BT and trichogramma wasps, but those tips won't work in this situation -- the webs are way up in my pecans, 20 to 50 feet off the ground. I can't cut them down nor can I reach them to apply any BT products.

Does anybody have any tips for getting these worms?

If I can't get them, will they so significant damage to the trees? They're all old trees so I'm sure they've had plenty of webworms in the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:50 pm 

I have heard that some birds eat the web worms. I don't know which birds. But maybe if there was a way of attracting them to your area then they could take care of the web worms for you.
I haven't had this problem before. I hope this helps some. :?:

- Emily in Fort Worth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:41 pm 

This is what I did:

You can get a hose end sprayer that shoots BT 25-30 ft in the air. From the 2nd top step of an 8ft ladder and your arm out, it will give you 35-40ft or more. Once the BT is on the other leaves, it gets the new migrating ones. Mix an ounce of molasses or heavy sugar syrup or cane syrup to make it stick better to the leaves.

I also have a 12 ft piece of white PVC plastic pipe from Home Depot... the 1/2 inch kind used for spinkler systems. I Liquid Nails glued two exacto knife blades on the end for added "ooomph." You can really whip that sucker back and forth on a bag, again from near the top of the ladder if need be (watch your ladder warnings, and/or have someone holding your legs behind you).

The bags will either tear open for the birds, or some will also stick or tear off. It's kind of fun... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:41 am 

Excellent suggestions, Bill!!

Paper wasps also eat web worms. If you can do anything to encourage wasps on your property and with your neighbors, you will never get to the point of having the actual webs. The wasps will get every last one of them before they produce enough to make a web.

Wasp etiquette: Don't swat or swing at them. That can only have the opposite effect you're looking for. If you pretend they aren't there, even if they fly into your face and bump into you, then you have a wasp-friendly attitude. Actually, you might have a serious problem if you can do that right off :shock: , but eventually, you need to try to learn to relax around wasps. They are not aggressive unless they perceive you to be aggressive. There may be accidental stings if you get too close to the nest but if it is way up in your eaves, that isn't going to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:46 pm 

I'll call the Dallas Mornin' News an see if they kin deliver some 'o them wasps along with tha paper tomorrow... :lol:

Good idea, though. I have released trich. wasps, but the lady across the street is so infested every year, and her tree hangs halfway across the street from me, that some invariably make the crossing. Now I spray her extended branches too, as it takes but a minute.

BTW, if you can't get 12ft of pipe home easily, buy the lengths you can, along with connectors, the purple primer and solvent and put them togther at home. Only adds about 5 bucks more.

And you don't really need the blades on it if you can swing/poke with any force whatsoever... they just give more of that samurai swagger as you swat along your parkway!

Post subject: Web Worms
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:20 pm 

Are the trees close to the house? If so, spray from there vs the Ladder. Clean out the gutters while you're there... :roll:

For long term use I bought one of those fiberglass, 3 part, extension poles used for painting. The end is threaded and you can put all kinds of things on it for various uses. For tree use, I rebent a paint roller handle into a hook. Now I can reach up quite high and open the bag worm nest OR use the hook to grab a dead branch (small) to pull it down OR grab a limb to shake the pecans loose.

Unit stores quite nicely.

That'll be 50 cents, please.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:38 pm 

But then I would have to use the ladder to get on the roof of the house... and then down again... and risk falling 14 ft either way, with a 12 ft pole in my hands, instead of 4 steps on the ladder... and I already own the pipe. And I simply thread a 78 cent 90 degree PVC bend on it for ditto.

That'll be dix francs, s'il vous plais... 8)