It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Trunk repair.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:44 am 

Folks -
This weekend I had to bring down a fairly large tree branch due to the previous owner improperly trimming a branch, which cause the limb to start rotting out from under thing.

Upon removal, I noted that the branch had a large section of it soaked, and the consistancy of wet sawdust.

My question is this. There is still wetness on the trunk portion, and I'd like to seal this area before wood borers/carpenter ants find it.

The branch around this area appears "normal", i.e. drywood.

I plan on using some type of organizc pesticide on the wet protions to fight off any encroaching insects, but would appreciate any advice on either sealing, or maintaining this area until the tree can heal itself.

Thanks much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:56 pm 

I'd recommend using the tree trunk goop listed at the top of the forum.

It both protects from bugs and speeds the healing- but rememeber this is just for bad breaks and sick places. Normal healthy cuts don't need it.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:00 pm 

Thank you, I'm going to give it a couple of days to "dry out", and then I'm going to put some goop on it.

I was very surprised by the amount of water and pulp that seemed to have been generated. I'm also hopeful it has spread into the trunk.

Would you recommended trying to clean out any of the pulp wood, or leave well enough alone?

Post subject: Re: Trunk repair.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:57 pm 

Odln:

I'm trying to picture the area of your concern.

As I understand, you have removed the branch 'stump' from the tree trunk. Did you remove the stump right back to the trunk?

Your question leads me to believe that a portion of the tree trunk has soft tissue. Does that cavity hold water? If so, it should be sealed off; thus your question, how?

Remove as much of the rot as you can, re-soak the area with Tree Goop. To seal the opening, depending how large, you can fill with concrete. To keep the concrete from running out until it sets, mix the concrete fairly dry and use 1/8" hardware cloth to cover the outer surface. Push it in just below the surface of the fresh concrete for reenforcement.

If the hole is fairly shallow, I have use 'Wet-Dry' roofing patch to seal the wound. It's flexable enough to allow the tree bark to expand and it also keeps the insects at bay. Have used the roof patch material for years without any problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:19 pm 

Thanks folks, I've got pictures, but no place to host them.

I've also got trees with a white patches, as if the bark has come off. One tree exhibits a powder type substance when I rub it, and the bark seems to flake off fairly easily.

Other trees just have light patches, but no bark flaking.

Could I send pict to someone for analysis?

My local arboculturalist (Arlington), just says, "we'll keep an eye on it", but then never seems to come back....

Post subject: Pictures
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:59 am 

Hi folks,
I found a place to publish my pics. Here's the link.

Please take a look and let me know.

http://home.comcast.net/~j.erskine/wsb/ ... html-.html

Post subject: Photos
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:00 am 

Odln018:

I viewed the photo of the 'bad seal'. What is that yellow/orange stuff?
You give no details to help describe the pic.

I will assume it's that expansion foam used to seal various openings around windows and doors. Product is known as "Great Stuff". Am I right?

If it is, remove it. It will hold moisture, has air pockets and will not hold up exposed to the elements. Chemicals in it's makeup could injure your tree even more.

Get out as much as you can by hand then soak with PVC pipe cleaner to soften the remaining goo.

Then refer to my suggestion using concrete. I should qualify the type of concrete. Use brick mortar as it does not contain gravel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:23 am 

Yes, from what I've seen, it is some type of foam material. I'll yank it out when I get home this evening.

Any thoughts on the white patches on the trees?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:04 pm 

In trimming a fairly large branch (24" in diameter), that had been rotting out, I've noticed that there is an oblong hole extending into the trunk.

This whole is roughly 2 inches wide, and about 4-6 inches long. I'm unsure how far into the trunk it extends.

I've been told to use concrete, I've been told to use great stuff, I've been told to fill it with tar.

I want to make sure I get this addressed before significant rainfall hits, as I don't want this thing to fill and start rotting further into the trunk.

Any definitive answers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:30 am 

I still stand by using the tree trunk goop formula and I don't agree with using either tar or concrete. These are too permanent and will have the same effect as having a band-aid on for too long.

Howard's own words: '... do not use any pruning paint of any kind. Not only is it a waste of money, it?s detrimental. The wounds will heal slowly.'

Treat the wound with hydrogen pyroxide if you think it's infected, then apply the tree trunk goop. This wards off bugs and nourishes the tree as it repairs itself. Yes, it will wash off after a good rain, but just mix up a good batch of goop, keep it sealed, and when a strong rain washes off the last application, just apply again. It's summer in Texas- it's not like there will be a strong rain very often in the next few months.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.