It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: any idea's?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:15 pm 

Folks,

For yrs, the rafters in my garage have had some holes in them [from some type of boring-insect], then the holes are plugged with a hard "white-something".

Well, I changed some of the cross-ties to better support the sag in the middle of an old garage. The former boards were made of cedar [seemed to be the outside lighter part of the tree, not the red-center] and I changed them with oak. When I removed the old c-ties, some of them were riddled with holes and they broke easily...they were powdery and dry rotted. I also found what look like a boring type insect, that looked about the size of a horse fly but green colored...it also had those notched antennae that are indicative of a borer...

Ques: Does anyone know what is going on? there was also mud-dauber like larvae in some of the holes where I broke the white power and then pushed in some wire about an inch or so...I sprayed some WD-40 in the holes so if there were anything else, it might kill it [or, if it ever flies, its wings will sure move well.

Note: these are not termites, I am very familiar with them.

Pls let me know if you have any suggestions or questions? None of the pine 2x4 rafters had these holes in them, but the cedar rafters and cross-ties did..I made need to pull some of hte rafters - won't that be fun...the location is about 65 miles WNW of Houston.

Many thanks,
tstex

Post subject: Re: any idea's?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:23 pm 

A friend at work (who lives in the Dallas/Fort Worth area) was describing an infestation of a small boring beetle or something I think they called a bee or a flea - sorry this isn't more help, I'll think of the name as soon as I hit "send," but anyway, there are a lot of boring insects, particularly beetles, that can do damage like you describe. Hopefully someone will visit this thread who can name what your pest might be.