It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:38 pm 

I need help with the timing of when to apply nematodes to attack grub worm larvae. I read elsewhere that July and August is the ideal time to apply for the Gulf Coast region of Texas. But, is the life cycle of these beetles such that I could still apply nematodes in early November...I still see larvae. I'm guessing that Milky spore can be applied anytime and I want to put out both, but I don't want to waste the $20 on the nematodes if I am too late.

I have the only organic lawn on the block and this visable damage to my lawn is quite embarrassing. Why did they pick me?!?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:58 pm 

Well I am late to answer but not too late to save you the money. Any time after August is too late to apply. Why? Because the grubs have stopped feeding. You can still kill them but at that point, why bother? The time to apply is the first day you see June bugs swarming your porch lights. When you apply, start your normal (1 inch) irrigation. Stop after about a quarter of the water has been applied, apply the nematodes, then finish watering. Nematodes only move on a film of water, so spraying into dryish soil is a waste.

Grubs rarely attack the same lawn two years in a row. Wait until you see the June bugs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:22 pm 

Thanks, David. Your timing is still pretty darn good because I was going to go out there tomorrow and apply the half of a jar I have left in my refrigerator...which brings up the question: "How long can you store nematodes?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:28 pm 

They last about 2 weeks when refrigerated. You may as well apply them. There is some benefit to applying now, just not grub control. Now is the time to control fleas, ticks, and thrips. BN is the only way to control thrips and ticks and NOW is the only time of year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:42 pm 

I wanted to find out what you would suggest for fleas? My Florida gulf coast lawn is covered with them and I can't keep them off my dogs. In all my years of traveling to dog shows, herding trials, I never came home with fleas on my dogs. Now after moving back home to FL, my dogs are covered in them.

I was thinking about DE and spreading it on the lawn, but seeing as how it rains here everyday, I don't think that would be cost effective for the results I'm looking for.

Anyone have any suggestions.

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:06 pm 

Beneficial nematodes will take care of your fleas. Put them down when it's cool and after watering or a rain. Right about now, I'd say! Be sure to buy them from a business that keeps them refrigerated before selling them, and put them in your fridge (don't freeze!) until you're ready to mix them with water and spray them. See our list of organic businesses to find them in your area.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:51 am 

thank you so much, I'm going to go look for a company near me. thank you again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:20 pm 

The soil needs to be wet and apply with plenty of water. BN move around on a film of water. Without that they sit still and do no good.

BN kill by infecting the bugs with a disease. The disease is harmless to mammals, fish, birds, lizards, etc.