It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: alfalfa pellets
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:53 pm 

I want to put some alfalfa pellets that friend has and want to know what is the application rate and if it is alright to put out now or do i need to wait until spring. I plan on putting it on my St. Augustine grass and live in Corpus Christi where i have a hard clay type soil. Also would i need to put some other fertilizer out after i have applied this or would the alfalfa suffice as the main fertilizer?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: alfalfa pellets
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:55 pm 

I would wait until spring. Here's what Howard says in the Article Library:

Alfalfa Meal: Alfalfa provides many nutritional benefits not only for plant use, but for soil organisms as well. One very important ingredient is tricontanol, a powerful plant growth regulator. Orchid and rose growers make an alfalfa tea and spray it directly on as a foliar fertilizer. Alfalfa is very high in vitamins, plus N-P-K-Ca, Mg, and other valuable minerals. It also includes sugars, starches, proteins, fiber and 16 amino acids. Sprinkle lightly over garden and water, or use about a handful (depending on the size) around each rose, tree, or shrub. Approximate analysis is 3-1-2. Alfalfa meal and hay used for mulch contain vitamin A, folic acid, trace minerals and the growth hormone “tricontanol.” Use at 25 pounds per 1,000 square feet or 400-800 pounds per acre. Alfalfa helps plants create larger flowers and increases the tolerance to cold. Make alfalfa tea by soaking 1 cup of alfalfa meal per 5 gallon of water. Good for all flowering plants. Research has shown that using more is not better. At recommended rates alfalfa works wonders on roses but it can be overused causing adverse effects.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:50 pm 

Thank You for the reply.

I have the pellets though and not meal. I had read what Howard had to say and i think that is why I get confused because if you look at other places he says that one good thing about organic fertilizers is that you can apply them at any time and is almost impossible to over use.

Again thanks for the reply but still a bit confused.

Arnie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:15 am 

The right section is called "Meet & Greet".

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:18 pm 

Hello Harry. You might be the only Brit on this forum, but many years ago there was another one on another forum. He never divulged his real name but with the amazing knowledge he had of organic gardening and sustainability, long before it was popular, I believe him to be the one who is next in line to become your king.