It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:12 pm 

I am seeing yellow spots on the leaves of my cucumber plan and there is a white residue under the leaves. The plant is still flowering and producing cucumbers, but alot of the leaves are dying. I haven't seen any bugs or eggs so far. I currently am having a problem with squash vine borers, and have heard they will attack cucumbers as well. Didn't know if I should be worried. I have been using Garrett Juice on the plant, but haven't tried anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:08 pm 

Someone on another thread described how to surgically remove the borers from the stems of your squash plants. I have several in the back that are still alive--I'm hoping they'll stabilize and grow new roots and seal themselves up again then start fruiting some more.

You'll see some granular piled up eruptions on the stem of the sqush plant where the borers are doing their damage. Carefully slice lengthwise into the plant up to the healthy tissue. You'll startle (and quickly flick out then squash) some white grub-like critters. The advice I'm following continued with the information that if you pile moist dirt over the wounded stem you'll help keep out other pests and it (I hope) it might do some rooting from that point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:33 pm 

what time have you been spraying your garret juice? you should always do foliar feedings early in the morning, or the second best option, in the evening.

I had the same stuff on my plants when I sprayed a little too close to the warmer part of the day...

"A righteous person who is wise resembles God: he never disciplines anyone in order to take vengeance upon a wrongdoing, but only so that the person may be set aright, or that others may be deterred."
-St Isaac of Syria