It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:59 pm 

I have moved my plumbago, hibiscus, and bougainvillea to the garage for the winter. They are near a window that is shaded so not much light comes in. How much light do they need? Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:55 am 

turn a grow light on the during the day and turn it off at night...don't forget about the temps too. If your garage gets to a certain temps, they'll die in there just like outside.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:02 am 

I'm at the beginning stages of learning how to garden with a garden shed/greenhouse building. It's a large PVC structure that I rescued when a friend's house was foreclosed - now set up with a southern exposure - I wasn't able to turn it southeast without getting into the right-of-way through my back yard. I've run an extension cord out and will be setting up my own growing setup.

The suggestion of using a grow light during the day is excellent - while I want the extra light for the plants, I don't want that "telltale glow" of a grow light at night visible through the woods and over the creek, making my home look like something more than an innocent homeowner's greenhouse! I have a temperature sensitive plug and an oil radiator out there so if the temperature gets to a low point the power turns on and the heater will run. Once the temperature gets up to 50 it turns off. This might mean some yoyo temperatures during the night, but it won't get below freezing, which is my goal. I have a couple of these plugs, they're designed for well-houses - the idea is that when it gets cold enough that the plug engages, if you have a light plugged into it then you can glance out at the well house and see that the light is on and it's keeping the pump from freezing.

Farm Innovators Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet and Easy Heat EH-38 Freeze Thermostatically Controlled Valve and Pipe Heating System