It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Garrett Juice
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 12:36 am 

I recently started brewing compost tea for making Garrett Juice. I want to know if the chemicals in the public water supply(eg. chlorine, etc) will in any way diminish the microbial effectness of the compst tea in the Garrett Juice when applied using a hose-end sprayer.

Post subject: Garrett Juice 2
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 12:48 am 

How often should I treat my St. Augustine with Garrett Juice?

Post subject: chlorine
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:46 am 
You can dechlorinate water naturally by leaving it to sit out for at least 24 hours (2 or 3 days is better for large quantities of water). Other than that, its hard to say what else might be in your water supply. Dechlorinating it will help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:21 pm 

This question came up on another list. One professional wrote in to say he has every batch of his tea tested. When he used fresh tap water he got zero counts of microbes in the tea. When he uses rainwater or dechlorinated tap water, things are "normal."

A problem comes up if you dilute the tea to apply or use a hose end sprayer. You need to dechlorinate the water you dilute with, too. Apparently there are faucet mounted dechlorinators.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:24 am 

Oh my.. I didn't realize that using unfiltered hose end sprayers was negating the beneficial effects of Garret Juice. :cry: Can anyone recommend a filtering system?

~Dave Cluck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:12 pm 

I just built a hose end dechlorinator out of PVC, activated charcoal, HEB kitty litter (zeolite), and a few fittings. I have not tested the water coming out yet to see how well it is filtering. I'll write back to the list when I get my test kit and test it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:20 am 

If your filter does end up being a success I would love to see how you put your system together. Did you use an existing design that you found elsewhere on the net or was this your own creation? Is all kittly litter created equal in tems of its use as a filtering agent?

~Dave Cluck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:55 pm 

Not all kitty litter is the same. I'm not a cat fancier although my Chow-chow seemed to like them - thinly sliced and cooked medium :shock:

Zeolite does not soften or melt when wet for weeks at a time. Other kitty litters I've seen get slimy and soft when wet. Those are more clay like. The kitty litter I got is the generic brand sold in HEB grocery stores.

I'll make a separate post about the dechlorinator. We're already off topic for the Garrett Juice.