It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dogs Ears Raw From Flies
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:20 am 

My dog has upright ears & the tips are being eaten? raw from flies. They won't even fly away when I hold her & look at her ears! I can smash them with my fingers.
She is a 24/7 outside dog--1/2 Malamute & 1/2 Cattle Dog.
I have tried Pennyroyal spray & petroleum jelly to no avail.
I also feed her Muenster & add garlic, brewer's yeast & some more DE.
BTW---I ascribe the fact she has no fleas or heart worms to the additions. She has no other protections for those pests & is 9 years old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:48 am 

One of my neighbors has a heeler that had the same problem . She rubbed in Avon's Skin-so-soft. She said the oil helped to heal the ears and the awful, strong scent kept the flies off. She said she used it a couple times a week.

Lots of horse owners use it especially on the horses back and stomach
to keep flies off.

Georgia

Post subject: Dog Ears
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:41 am 

I had this problem a few years ago and fixed it using these methods. First, the flies mostly were around because of dog poop or other places they like to hang around. I realized I needed to bump up the microbial activity and make the poop break down faster by spraying the entire yard area with molasses every week for a while, and then every other week after a month or so. My dogs were in a very large run, half the yard, and we didn't pick up the poop. So every other day or so I would spray their newest additions with a molasses & water solution and they began to break down into the soil in a couple of days. That cut down on the fly population. To protect the dogs I found out by accident that you can spray the citronella product Skeeter D'Feeter on them. I was spraying the yard for mosquitoes and the dogs ran through the spray. Since I knew it wouldn't harm them I didn't worry much about it, figuring it would keep the mosquitoes off them. They actually benefitted in more than one way because it kept the flies off them too. And you can put tea tree oil on your dog's ears to help them heal faster naturally. I hope this is helpful to you. Love those furry friends!

Post subject: Dog Ears
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:59 pm 

This may sound silly, but it works. A vet at NC State Vet School told us to use Desitin Diaper Rash Cream around a surgical sight on one of our horses to repel flies. A friend had a german shepard whose ears were literally being eaten off by flies. We applied the Desitin, no more flies and his ears healed. I guess if its ok to use on a babies behind its ok for a dogs ears.

Post subject: Aloe
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:35 pm 

I don't know how to get rid of the flies, but I think putting some 'George's Aloe' juice in your dog's water will help heal her ears. They also make a gel you could put on her ears. They have a website at www.warrenlabsaloe.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:50 pm 

I just read this post and thought i would add my two cents worth. I have had this problem myself and used a product called SWAT. It is sold in horse supply places for use in their ears and in wounds. It is toxic to fish but it is wonderful for use on the dogs ears. I personally like the kind that is pink in color. They make an invisible kind which is easier to find but it is harder to see if it is needed to reapply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:51 am 

On our morning walk today my pitbull was bothered by a collection of flies that followed us around the neighborhood. I manage to chase most of them off of her and keep moving enough to lose them, but when she's in the yard she has no way of avoiding them.

I have a large yard and the dogs are inquisitive. They try tasting everything at least once, so I'm very careful about anything I put out for ant or bug control. My pitbull doesn't like the spray bottle that had a little orange oil in water to try to chase off the flies. Poor thing looks like she's being punished, and since that isn't the case, I'm trying something new. In addition to picking up the poop and burying it more often, this morning I gave her a couple of cloves of garlic to eat. The other dog spits them out, but she has a longer coat and the flies don't seem to bother her so much.

I'll mow then sprinkle garlic around the back (it's a big yard so I can't really afford to sprinkle that much dried garlic very often). Anyone else have luck with putting the garlic in the dog instead of in the yard? Any adverse effects to giving a whole clove to the dog? Today is the first day I tried it.

Northwesterner