It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:05 am 

Does anyone own an electric mower? What do you think the pros & cons are with one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:58 pm 

I had one for about 3 years before we moved to the country. I can only say good things about it. My lawn was bermuda, if you have a thick stand of St Aug in may be difficult to cut I had some trouble when the grass got away from me but I still recommend it.
Tony M

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:42 pm 

I had a Black and Decker for about 2 years,it was alright but you couldn't let the grass go for more than about 7 days before you had to mow again,it was semi-quite,but I sold it and bought a Scotts Reel mower and I love it I can even mow at night when it's cooler(in the summertime).

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:49 am 

I know this thread is a bit old, but my thoughts regarding the cordless mowers vs gas powered is are we just trading one problem for another? That is what all by-products are involved in the production of the batteries and disposal issues and then the electricity (resources to create the electricity)required to charge the mowers? And then are the electric mowers really powerful enough to do a good job of cutting the grass, I don't know that they are capable of mulching and will a single charge be enough to mow the average residential lot with a single charge? More questions than answers I know, but enough to keep me from making the switch.

I do like my manual reel mower, though right now I need some repair parts to get it going again and it also has its own set of limitations.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:38 pm 

I know this is an old post and that I've posted on this subject already but I had a friend who has 2 cordless /electric lawn mowers at a garage sale. He bought a Remington ata garage sale for about $30 and it's cordless and charges overnight,but it's heavy.The person he bought it from said someone bought it for them as a wedding present and it only worked once for them.(this thing retails for about $4oo),so it was a steal at $30.
He also bought one from Earthwise that's a 20 inch cordless with a bag and it mulches,and is 24 volts.It to is heavy.heavier than a gas mower.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:47 am 

OK -- old topic, but I guess I still don't know what to do. This spring I need to buy my first lawnmower, and I need it to be user-friendly for an old woman AND as 'green' as possible. Even CARB gas mowers seem pretty bad, all in all.

Does anybody have experience with Neuron battery-powered mowers? I've read lots of reviews, mostly good. Good points for me are that it's easy to start and lightweight, so I could move it onto my porch for safe storage, as I don't have a shed or garage.

I'd love to convert every blade of grass to something that doesn't require mowing, but I can't afford to do that all at once and the grass keeps on growing (only in the summer, thank goodness, it's brown right now).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:01 pm 

Some say that the batteries are a problem,for desposing,most scappers will take your battery.Your battery is worth $$$,how much depends on who you sell it to.The other question electric or gas ,try usuing a reel mower,no smells,carbon friendly ,light weight,cheaper-$100-$140 ,depending on where you buy it from.Also it gives you a great workout. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:08 pm 

Rechargeable mowers continue to improve as battery technology improves. Charge times are going down and run times are going up. Neuton CE6 and Black & Decker's new 2011 model (self propelled even) are our choice for the best mowers available for our commercial service. Mostly because these models have interchangeable batteries that we can change out and keep mowing during our mowing days.
The pollution stats on gas mowers, blowers and trimmers are really startling. Check out the EPA site for those numbers as I don't really want to get into just how dirty they are on this forum. But bottom line...they're really dirty.
As for the issue of battery recycling...Black and Decker's battery prices include the costs of recycling and all you have to do is take the battery back to the recycle facility.
Then there's the issue of charging the batteries and using electricity (which is produced at coal burning plants). We address that by charging our batteries with renewable solar power from solar panels mounted on our trucks. So our mowing service has a carbon footprint of zero.
So, I guess you can tell. I'm all for electric over gas if done right. Check out our service as well at www.cleanairlawncare.com

Changing the way America mows the lawn
www.cleanairlawncare.com
469-892-5382

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:34 pm 

I have a friend who recharges his batteries (2 mowers),with a solar pannel 3'x3',he says their fully charges each time he needs to mow. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:20 pm 

Clean Air Lawn Guy wrote:
We address that by charging our batteries with renewable solar power from solar panels mounted on our trucks. So our mowing service has a carbon footprint of zero.
So, I guess you can tell. I'm all for electric over gas if done right. Check out our service as well at http://www.cleanairlawncare.com

Rick, I think you have a pretty asome business model. But I have to say, there is no way to have a carbon footprint of -0-

Have to consider how you are getting to location, as well as what was involved in creating your transportation, and your equipment (including the solar panels). There's very few things (completely) independent of coal/petroleum.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:15 am 

Addendum to this message, same day, one hour later: I am returning this to HD. Sluggish 5 minutes into mowing (grass was not high), stopped and removed battery, smoke coming from motor! I quit!

Well, I finally broke down and bought one of these. Mine is from Greenworks, and so far I really like it. I'm a 69-year-old female and I've never owned any lawnmower or used any lawnmower, so I don't have much to compare it with in that respect, but it's quieter than gas models, and certainly doesn't have any noxious fumes. I chose this one because it was listed at HomeDepot as being lighter weight than it actually is. Since I don't have a storage shed and it needs to come onto my front porch for storage, weight was important.

It's been too hot for me to cut the entire yard at one time, although I'm going to attempt that this morning. I think the battery will hold out quite well for the whole thing, based on my experience so far. It starts right up, the self-propel takes off in a hurry if you're on a hard surface, and it's easy to maneuver.

Batteries aren't a perfect solution, but nothing is perfect in this life and I'm not able to use a non-power push mower. This at least has immediate benefits of quiet and fume-free operation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:21 pm 

Find someone with some goats and let them have at it. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:35 pm 

Giggles. I don't think that would pass our city codes. Besides, they'd eat my veggies, too. Nice thought, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:52 pm 

Well I don't own an electric mower, I rent one form one of my local construction equipment rental companies, I can say that makes the job easy and if you have a large garden it will save you much time and effort.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:35 pm 

Here's my blog post on the subject. http://willyvon1-willyswill.blogspot.co ... ts-up.html