It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Organic Vineyard
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:53 pm 

I'm looking for information to start an organic vineyard in the E Tex area. Is this the right forum? The last posts that I searched were in some time back. Does anyone one have new information on soil amendments, varieties, pests and treatments?

Post subject: Re: Organic Vineyard
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:44 am 

Youmay want to contact the folks in Celina,
TX. They are not 100% organic but they are getting there and are the closest to you.
Another source is your favorite wine store, look in the Texas section for organic wines and contact them.
Tony M

Linda Hornbaker
www.edenhill.com
214-850-4081

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:20 pm 

NYV wrote:
I'm looking for information to start an organic vineyard in the E Tex area. Is this the right forum? The last posts that I searched were in some time back. Does anyone one have new information on soil amendments, varieties, pests and treatments?

In terms of organic production, all the same factors will come into play...

There are not all that many options when one chooses organics. Pest and disease control will be your most difficult tasks. Fertility is a fairly easy subject. You need to do some soil sampling, and figure out your base levels of P & K, soil pH, and micronutrients. Some of this can be corrected on a broad acre basis, while some emphais should be directing nutrients more directly around the plants.

Cover crops between rows are important in an organic system... but what you will have to research, is which cover crops are best utilized within a vineyard (as some cover crops can attract insects that are damaging to the main crop).

Texas Agrilife, will be one of your better sources for general information on growing a vineyard in your areas. Particularly on variety selection, disease, and pest control. Also note that good ground preparation prior to planting is important. It is good to control existing weeds, ahead of time.

Hope this has helped some.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Texas Agrilife's programs, research, advice and funding are all rooted in a chemical background. There are a few people genuinely interested and learning about natural organic growing programs, but they are the exception. I recommend that you contact the Natural Organic Warehouse for a growing program that will be effective and cost efficient. http://naturalorganicwarehouse.com/