It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:35 pm 

I have treated the yard with nematodes to get rid of the fleas, I have bathed the dogs and have sprayed the house with orange oil and have washed the beding. Now, my dog won't stop scratching. He does this every summer and I was wondering if there is something I can put on him that would soothe his itch. I am thinking it is just because of fleas and am hoping that will end soon since I have done all the above. I am wondering if there is an oil or something that will help him. Would tea trea oil do any good?
Thanks for any advice on the subject.
Bernice

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:48 am 

I don't mean to pick on you but have gone through your dogs coat and found fleas? This happened to our dogs a couple years ago and my wife thought it was fleas but when we really looked the fleas were gone (we did about what you have done) and is was moore dry skin or maybe allergy like than fleas. Just a suggestion.
Robert D. Bard

Post subject: scratching
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:47 pm 

It is fleas...I still need to do my second treatment of nematodes though. I looked on the internet and found that
peppermint oil is suppose to be good for itching.
[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:28 am 

Bernice, if you haven't done it yet, I'd walk around in the outdoor area where the dog goes and see if you still have adult fleas there. If you wear white socks, you should see some fleas on them if there are any. Nematodes attack the flea larvae, but they don't do anything to the adults that were there when you treated the yard. If the dog is being reinfested with adults, either from outside or from hatches indoors, then you still need to address them. If the dog has adults on it, then it probably is dropping flea eggs indoors, so continue to clean, vacuum, and wash the bedding, dog, etc. I was thinking that you don't have carpet, but if you do, you should consider having it steam cleaned. I assume you don't take the dog out to areas beyond the house where it can collect fleas. Do other dogs/cats have access to your yard? If you can get the hatchings under control, the flea population should subside.

If you get rid of the fleas and the dog still itches, then the entire area of skin allergies is in play. Non-specific skin allergies can be hard to assess and treat, even for vets, but you probably start with considering diet, dietary supplements, topical itch treatments, and the type of shampoo that you use. There's a lot of information about pet allergies on the Web, so you could do some research there.

The fleas probably were around before the summer, so if the itching happens only in the summer and every summer, there probably are other allergies at work in addition to the fleas. The fleas make it worse, though. If the dog has a non-flea skin allergy that you simply can't identify, it could be something like a hayfever allergy to pollen or something similar. If the dog is a purebred or mostly purebred, you might consult the rescue group(s) for that breed. They've see just about everything imaginable, and they invariablly have a Web presence. If you get to the point where you have to use pharmaceuticals, you could try benadryl, but you'll have to work out the dose. I would resist the vets' tendency to give prednisone pills or shots unless the situation is quite serious and nothing else works.

Because you've had a flea infestation, you should monitor the dog for tapeworms. It is not unusual for tapeworms to accompany flea infestations. Good luck.

Post subject: Scratching
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:13 am 

Yes, tea tree oil will do wonders, no matter what is making your dog itch. Just rub it on the areas where you find an irritation. Another soothing thing is a cornmeal bath. Soak the cornmeal in water for an hour or so and then use it for a rinse on the dog. Let it stay on for about 30 minutes, then rinse him/her with clean water. A couple of cups in a five gallon container will do the trick if it's a small dog and you can let him/her soak. That's what I did with my Yorkie. Second, and I'm adding this because I forgot it myself when I had a flea visit earlier this spring, you have to vacuum the heck out of your house to get rid of all the little critters that hid in your carpets. Put some DE on the floor and suck that up first so it will kill any fleas that end up in the bag. Nematodes will work eventually but if your soil is compacted they will have a hard time moving around so be mindful of that too. Auntie Fuego or any foliar feed mixed with d-limonene and sprayed on your yard will do a good job of killing adult fleas too, or at least it did for me. Hope these are helpful.

Post subject: scratching
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:43 pm 

Thank you Kathe!! That is helpful information. I did the nematodes last year and they worked so good. I don't understand why they didn't work as well this year. I applied them right after a good rain. I wondered if they might have been dead???
We don't have carpet so that helps alot. I just have to keep their bed washed and wash and comb the dogs everyday. Of course I don't really do this everyday, I just should/need to. :roll:
I will try the corn meal soak. I had wondered if this would help.

Post subject: Scratching Dog
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:00 pm 

Years ago I had a Blue Heeler who scratched constantly in the spring and
summer and the vet said she was allergic to the grass and/or to the bite of the flea or maybe something the fleas inject as they bite.

At that time I didn't know about the organic program. The only relief she got was from steroid shots. I would have had to put her to sleep if that had not been available. She would scratch and cry and I felt so sorry for her.

Post subject: Aloe
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:03 pm 

I have a friend that has a dog which has bad allergies and dry skin. She gave her dog some aloe juice called George's Aloe in her water dish. It takes just like water, so the dog doesn't know the difference and her dog ended up healing all scratched places and doesn't scratch at all anymore. I can find out more information if you are interested.