It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:28 pm 

Well, I've tried diatomaceous earth on several insects now (though I'm not done)...

So far, it has proven ineffective on the following:

Red ants, fire ants, pill bugs, and scorpions.

The material is from Rabbit Hill Farms and has always been kept dry.

I'm a bit dissapointed being that I have heard and read several times, of DE being effective on scorpions & fire ants.

I've tested both in the field and in a monitored scenario (glassware).

The scorpions stayed alive for a week till I finally sent him home.... Fire ants and pill bugs never skipped a beat.... they just keep running and frolicking through the DE.

What gives?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:55 pm 

How did you apply it? Very light, very heavy?

I use the can that puffs it out the long narrow tube and put a very light coat on the back of my kitchen counters when the little ants make their way in. It seems they don't like to cross the DE and they stay away. Are you treating around the ant mound, on the mound, etc? Tell us a little more and maybe someone can come in and describe the method that worked for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:25 am 

northwesterner wrote:
How did you apply it? Very light, very heavy?

I use the can that puffs it out the long narrow tube and put a very light coat on the back of my kitchen counters when the little ants make their way in. It seems they don't like to cross the DE and they stay away. Are you treating around the ant mound, on the mound, etc? Tell us a little more and maybe someone can come in and describe the method that worked for them.

I've applied at various rates. Generally just doing a dusting by hand. Range being" Light to VERY heavy.

I have treated 4 ft diameter over and around mound (broadcast) over the entire area.

I a have also taken sample specimens out of their home, or captured from within my own.... and made a science project of it.

I have yet to witness the DE cause any actual mortality in any of the forementioned pests. And that is what DE is supposed to do, cause mortality.

Additionally, I have not witnessed any general repelling qualities. However, I have not tried specifically on other insects yet.

I will continue with optimism for other pest species.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:58 am 

I did a very light application along my kitchen counter this week. The small ants that had been running around are now gone. It does work.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:50 pm 

I, too, am unimpressed with DE. Gave up on it about 10 years ago. In the house I use boric acid for all insect issues. Outside I use either molasses or molasses and bread yeast for ants.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:24 am 

Tell us how you use the bread yeast? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:27 pm 

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
I, too, am unimpressed with DE. Gave up on it about 10 years ago. In the house I use boric acid for all insect issues. Outside I use either molasses or molasses and bread yeast for ants.

David: Thanks for the re-assurance. I've got plenty of testing to still do (as I've got 10#s of DE) but I can't say I'm too optimistic with the stuff, going forward.

So is Molasses and Bread Yeast all you use for Outdoor Pests?

I'm testing Orange Oil now, on vegetables and peach trees, but I'm seeing some indication of even a little leaf burn with as little as 1 oz per gallon of water... And the insect repellency has not proven itself at that rate (this was foliar treatment, applied just before sunset)... I'm thinking I may have to stick with a soil drench during the summer months (not sure yet).

Do you have any words of wisdom on orange oil?