It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:46 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:56 pm 

Those are harlequin bugs. I can't tell from the picture what type of plant they are destroying, but my guess is that it's a plant that is out of season.

If that's true, get that crop out of your garden. It is too hot already for cool season plants like swiss chard, kale, kohlrabi, brussel sprouts, broccoli, etc.

If they are not feeding on plants that are under stress because of being grown out of season, something is definitely wrong with your plant(s). Harlequin bugs only come if plants are under stress.

Are you organic? How long?

Take time to stop and smell the flowers!
(or... as my ladybug refrigerator magnet says
"take time to stop and eat the flowers!" :D)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:08 pm 

the plant is tatsoi, and yes it is well past it's time, but i am letting the seed pods finish maturing so i can collect seeds.

i collect all of my own open pollinated seeds. been organic gardening for 8 years now.

you are right. i just looked up the harlequin bug and that is it. from what i read they attack plants in the brassica family mostly and tatsoi is in that family. they were all over my broccoli raab that i just harvested for seed last week then jumped to the tatsoi.

when i pull up the tatsoi do you know if they will go after tomatoes and peppers or any other vegetables that are in season.

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:09 pm 

Well, I have read more about them recently and it is my understanding that they will attack other plants like tomatoes, peppers, etc. BUT -- that said -- we had some on our kale and when I pulled the kale up, the harlequin bugs were history, too. I'm assuming that because the other plants currently in our garden are healthy, raised organically, and in season that the harlequin bugs are simply not interested. I hope my assumption proves correct... :lol:

Take time to stop and smell the flowers!
(or... as my ladybug refrigerator magnet says
"take time to stop and eat the flowers!" :D)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:35 am 

Our Vet highly recommends it and besides, it is one of only a few products that also protects cats against heart-worms. Many people do not realize that cats can get heart-worms and they are not curable.