It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:52 pm 

This year is the first year I have gardened in Texas since I was a little girl picking tomatoes and cantalopes from my fathers garden...more than thirty years ago. :shock: One of the plants I have is a watermelon- variety names escapes me right now. It was doing great with just regular watering and sugar beet molasses every 7 days. The vines were over eight feet long. Well...I had to be away from home (and the garden) for two days. When I returned, my partner told me that he forgot to water the garden. Now, the watermelon is very wilted and withered looking. My question is, is there any way to save the plant? I have considered cutting back the vines, but not sure if this is wise and if I can cut back the vines, how much do I cut off? Any help is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:41 am 

WAter it well but don't drown it. Try a balanced organic fertilizer instead of just the molasses....and why every week?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:14 pm 

Thank you Sandi, but I think that the plant is now too far gone. I will chalk this up to experience as I add the watermelon plant to the compost heap. Why every week? I was following the instructions on the label. In your opinion, what is a more realistic and beneficial feeding schedule? I still have healthy tomatoes, sage, rosemary, cucumbers and cantalopes and plan on putting out beans and carrots soon. Thank you for any advice!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:32 am 

I do use a good balanced organic fertilizer, but only every 2-3 weeks once the plant is fruiting.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan