It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:56 pm 

I am new to organic gardening and have planted vegetable garden following Dirt Dr Basic Philosophy of the Organic Program and Bed Preparation.
My question is today I was shredding mail and wondered if it could be used in vegetable garden under/with mulch as a groundcover, weed deterrent. I had heard of using newspaper this way. Is it safe? Is there anything that I need to consider when putting this paper into my garden?
With the over abundance of junk mail just thought it would be nice to put it to good use if possible.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:32 am 

You could put it in your compost bin but I would think it would blow away if laid in your flower beds...and look trashy.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:38 pm 

have used it in my veg garden for 11 years best to do it in the autumn when the garden is going to sleep and then it will rot down by spring it keeps the weeds away not so much work. Claire Daring

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:55 am 

Thank you so much for the information. I have started to put this in the compost bin. I also plan on using in the fall as suggested.
Thanks Again :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:19 am 

Newspaper works for me in certain situations, for weed control. Its great for having weed free walkways in the garden.

Always put some hay, leaves or other mulch on top of the newspaper. It works well for me all summer as a weed suppressant, especially in the wide paths between my blackberries. And all over anywhere the melons, cucurbits, winter squashes and watermelons will expand to :mrgreen: . This allows me to use my favorite mulches right in my raised beds.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:46 am 

Morrowind has to be one of the best. The only thing wrong with it is the combat.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:52 pm 

I say put it in the compost pile,I've putabout 5 years of shredding paper in my pile,along with everything else. :lol: