It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:49 am 

I have monthly supplies of horse, cow, and chicken manure. I have an on going compost heap that averages 20 cubic yards for 3 yrs now. Once they mature and cool down, I have a steady army of native earthworms that do further processing.
Texas Parks and wildlife Department wants fisherman to kill every grass carp that is caught. Fortunately, I have a creek 2 miles down the road that is teeming with them. These carp have provided to me, a steady source of home-made fish emulsion (far better than the store bought stuff). I found a person that just cleared his ranch of all of the cedar up by Kerrville. He used a cedar-eater to dispatched the trees and then he doubled ground the stuff and he gave all of 60 yards to me for free. This weekend, we are headed down to the beach and an old friend that works for Nueces county has 1200 lbs. of sargassum seaweed waiting for me. I will use this in my fish emulsion as well-after the salt has been rinsed. I collect the fish guts after a fishing trip, and I bury them next to all of my plants. Friends of ours are beginning to bring me theirs as well. The water that I use for my irrigation is from rain water. Growing up, my grandparents did all of this. We knew it as 'getting by' and 'using whatcha got'. Feels good to get back to the roots and I feel very blessed that this knowledge was available to me as a child. I do have to give Malcolm Beck credit for reminding me of where I came from and bringing me back to live as we are ment to live and you, Mr. Garrett, as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:49 pm 

Amen!

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:32 pm 

I thought that those grass eating carp were sterile,that;s why they(TPWL),released them into are lakes :?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:41 am 

ref: the carp
You can't mess with Mother Nature without some consequences.