It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bare Rooting
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Howard,

I've listened for many months now about planting trees bare rooted. My Brother has been a consulting forester in norther Indiana and southern Michigan for nearly 40 years. He and his crews plant on average 1000 acers or trees per year. In high school and collage, I worked for him during the summers and holidays. He has never done anything but Bare root planting. His survival rate is about 95%. I know you'll ask, the trees he plants are primaly for hard wood timber production. He and his foresters manage every acre he plants and then some. This is all for private land owners. Selective cutting of these managed wood lots means they will always be in production.

By the way, I finaly got him to stop using round up for post planting weed control a couple of years ago. He has now consided the vinager mixtures work better.

Dan W.

Post subject: Re: Bare Rooting
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:14 pm 

I put in a bay tree this weekend - since it came in a five-gallon pot, to bare root it meant soaking it in a big pan for a while then swishing it around in the water and Garrett-juice while patiently knocking off the soil and unwrapping and de-tangling the roots (that were a mess).

When I finished that, I more or less "staked out" the roots, using a bunch of twigs I'd cut (I pruned my rosemary and the dry branches worked well for this). My technique was to stretch out a root and peg it on either side with twigs, then pile dirt over it to hold it down.

By the time I finished planting it I'd pegged out a dozen large roots and left the tree on a slightly raised area so it won't be too deep in the ground.