It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: caladiums
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:43 pm 

when can you plant caladium bulbs?

Post subject: plant caladiums
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:15 am 
Generally, in North Central Texas, it's best to wait until about the middle of April to plant your caladium bulbs. Caladiums don't really get going until the soil temperature reaches around 68-70 degrees. If you plant them too early, when the soil is still cool and wet, you may end up with some rotten bulbs. They will also be very slow to emerge. By mid-April, caladiums will emerge quickly after planting. Just keep you caladuims stored in a cool dry place until you plant - paper bags are great.

If you have leftover caladiums that you don't plant in the spring, or find some on sale during the summer months, you can also plant them for a fall show. Plant your extras during the first two weeks of September (by Sept. 15). You'll get a second round of caladiums that will look great until first frost. You'll also find that the cooler fall temperatures really make the foliage color pop.

LFH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:36 am 

Check all the Home Depot, Lowes, and Wal-Mart garden centers first.

Here is another cool idea. I found a real great deal last year at my local oriental grocery market. I bought several small taro root bulbs by the pound for as little as $0.99/lb. I planted them in pure compost mounds. They make great elephant plants indoors or outdoors!

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:05 pm 

I planted some caladium bulbs about 10 days ago, and they are beginning to push up out of the ground. Soak your bulbs in water for 1 to 2 hours right before you plant them. I planted some last year even later - last of June - and they did well. Hope this helps.