It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: tomatoes on north side
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:25 am 

by the mid of july my tomatoes were pretty much gone under due to blight and stress and old age but on my mail rt. there were several folks that had tomatoes planted on the north side of building so that they were in partial shade most all day long. some were cherry and some were larger but none were beefsteak type they seemed to thrive right on into sept and oct.. anyone else noticed this or had experience w/ it?
i know that since i have planted my peppers in afternoon shade they do a lot better but have read that tomatoes need full sun?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:22 pm 

Maybe it is because of the seering Texas summer heat. Might be worth a try. I keep my tomatoes in half barrels, so maybe I will move them in late June. Thanks for the idea!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:08 pm 

We had our tomatoes in a full sun (Texas sun!) location last year, had to water them quite a bit because we didn't have quite enough mulch on them, but they did ok.

I plan to cut ours back this year -- sometime in July -- so they can get some new growth and we'll hopefully get a fall crop, too.

One thing to consider is not watering them from above. Put a soaker hose on your tomatoes instead.

Happy gardening!

Take time to stop and smell the flowers!
(or... as my ladybug refrigerator magnet says
"take time to stop and eat the flowers!" :D)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:58 am 

It is well known that in June and July most tomato production stops. At that time you can trim them back, if they still look good and healthy or you can take them out and plant new transplants and have a fall crop until the first freeze.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:23 am 

these folks never trimmed their plants back. or replanted. i need to find out what variety they planted.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:37 pm 

Tomatoes are a challenge for me. This year the plan is to plant more tomato plants every 3 weeks. I grow them from seed. By June, I will plant more and into July. Surely there will be a tomato somewhere in the garden all summer long? I'll report back to say how successful this plan is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:02 pm 

A friend of mine says he drapes a cloth over his tomato plants in the heat of summer. He gets fruit all summer. I'm going to try some sort of shade this year to see if I can get better production.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:42 am 

Tomatoes can and will go all summer long but it depends on lots of factors. They are susceptible to fungal diseases so a humid or wet spring and summer could cause them to die out, or look bad, earlier. A super hot and dry summer can bring in problem of its own. It's not that they can produce, usually factors in our weather have brought on things that make us want to rip them out before then. I had several seasons of picking the last tomato the night before our first hard freeze in November a few years back.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan