It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:59 am 

I made compost tea and garlic/pepper tea last summer. Still have 3 gallons of the compost tea and 1 gallon garlic/pepper, all in plastic one gallon jugs. Are they still viable if they have been in the shed over winter? They are my first trys. Thanks for any info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:23 am 

Don't use it straight if it's that old!

Any tea that is not aerated that is over 10 days old is totally anaerobic. Anaerobic microbes can be dangerous to your plant health if not diluted very well and used sparingly. All anaerobic microbes produce that stinky, sewage smell.

Aerobic microbes are different. They use oxygen to survive and all aerobic microbes are beneficial and safe on all plant types and soil types. Aerobic teas can be used undiluted or not, with no problems to plants.

The only safe place for any anaerobic tea that old is in the compost pile. It would make a great nitrogen and microbial activator to heat up the compost pile.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject: Feed and Aerate
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:42 am 

If it were me, from what I have researched and even used myself, I would feed the tea with seaweed and or molassas, then aerate your tea. This will wake up the benificial micro organisims and get rid of the bad ones. You should always aerate and feed your teas before you use them, if they have been sitting for any period .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:27 pm 

An aquarium air pump with a rubber hose and an air stone works. Or could you dump 4 of the gallon containers into a 5-gallon bucket and do more at once?