It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:25 am 

I noticed on the web site baking soda will help control the black spot problem. I would like to know if anyone knows the amount of this mixture for the minature roses and any other ideas to help control the black spots.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:37 am 
Potassium Bicarbonate Fungicide
Mix 4 teaspoons (about 1 rounded tablespoon) of potassium bicarbonate into one gallon of water. Spray lightly on foliage of plants afflicted with black spot, powdery mildew, brown patch and other fungal diseases. Potassium bicarbonate is a good substitute for baking soda. There are commercial EPA registered as well as generic products available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:03 pm 

I used the baking soda on my minature roses and it worked great. The roses have new foliage and several buds on them.

Shawna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:13 pm 

I toss a handful of corn meal under each rose plant on the first of every month. That seems to help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:13 pm 

shawna wrote:
I noticed on the web site baking soda will help control the black spot problem. I would like to know if anyone knows the amount of this mixture for the minature roses and any other ideas to help control the black spots.

I have the same problem. Cornmeal. Is that the same stuff you can
get at a grocery store. Or is it the Horticultural cornmeal at the
nursery. Which is a little more expensive????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:43 am 

Regarding the blackspot on roses; my roses look much better than they did for a while. Where can you buy the potassium bicarbonate fungicide? Feed store? I would like to try it myself. I have used the baking soda treatment and it worked pretty well.

Dancey
Zone 8b

Post subject: Mini Rose Black Spot
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:15 am 

I cured my mini rose using the cornmeal approach, but I mixed 2 cups in a gallon of water, let it set for a while, stirring occasionally. After about an hour I watered the rose bush with it. It got better in 24 hours and within 48 hours was putting out new leaves. Now it's healthy and blooming. I repeated the treatment with 1 cup cornmeal over a 2 months period and haven't had any problems since then. This was last year. It is in the same container it has lived in for the last 5 years. I broke up the soil at the top too, for extra oxygen, just for good measure. Hope my experience is helpful to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:30 am 

There is a difference between grocery store corn meal (food grade) and other corn meal (feed grade).

Food grade corn meal has been protected from extremes in temperature which keep certain pathogens from growing on it. Back in the early days of communism in the USSR there was a horrible rash of unexplained deaths from people eating bread. It turned out to be a biproduct from a fungus that grew on wheat held in silos over the winter. We've all learned from that experience and don't do that any more.

However, feed grade corn meal is not necessarily kept as well controlled. Although I haven't seen any reports of any sudden painful death from animals eating corn meal, it theoretically could happen, I guess. Horticultural corn meal is feed grade corn meal in smaller bags with a higher price tag. If you shop at feed stores, you can get corn meal for $5 for 50 pounds or $0.10 per pound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:48 pm 

My mini roses were doing great and yesterday I noticed alot of the leaves on them turning yellow. It was all the sudden type thing where the leaves were yellow. I still have new green and healthy growth coming out. It was almost like an overnight thing. I have 3 and all are the same. Does anyone have any ideas to maybe what the problem could be.

Shawna

Post subject: Corn Meal
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:45 am 

:!: WOW! I'm paying $15-$20 for 40 lbs of corn meal at a feed store. Does anyone in the DFW area get better prices?