It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Grasshoppers!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:19 pm 

Is there an organic formula for getting rid of pesky grasshoppers? We have a big problem with them every year. sigh :( As the summer weather gets hotter there seem to be even more grasshoppers. They can really ruin my lawn.

Dancey
Zone 8b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:11 pm 

The absolute best organic solution for grasshoppers, if you can have them, is pastured ducks, guineas, or maybe chickens.

There is an organic bait called NoLo that, if the infant grasshoppers eat, they will suffer mildly and maybe leave you alone. But geeze, what satisfaction is that?

Post subject: Grasshoppers!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:59 pm 

Thanks for the reply! :) I've never had ducks, guineas, or chickens before but I'm sure thinking about it now. Our Bluebirds and other birds just can't seem to catch them all. :? We have plenty of room here on the farm for ducks or chickens. I'll have to approach my hubby about that.

<infant grasshoppers may suffer mildly and may leave you alone> No satisfaction at all. :roll: I want em' dead!!

Dancey
Zone 8b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:09 am 

I'm partial to ducks. For eating ducks, the ugly Muscovy is large and large breasted. For laying ducks, the khaki Campbell was bred to lay between 200 and 300 eggs per year. If you live anywhere near Austin, I just can't imagine how much the locals would pay for a dozen brown duck eggs from natually fed (pastured) ducks. You might even be able to call them organic if you play your cards right. I've read that in New York City they sell organic duck eggs for a dollar apiece a farmers' markets. Ching ching!!

Neither of these duck breeds requires a pond. The Muscovies actually prefer to roost in trees. Muscovies will become protective if they lay eggs. If you want to propagate ducks, you'll need a drake (duh). The khakis will usually not sit on their own eggs, but the Muscovies will sit on any eggs they can find and raise the young.

If you toss in a goose, they are more vegetarian and will help with grass/weed control. Plus geese are big enough to protect the ducks from some predators - including people. A goose bite is one you'll always remember and outrunning one is impossible. Most goose bites are on the most sensitive parts of your posterior - wear butt armor if you piss one off.

If you turn the flock out before feeding them in the morning, they will look hard for insects to eat. If you manage them right you can really get away with very little feed for them. Search the Internet for Pastured Chickens. When you have read about that, consider that pastured ducks are just as easy but less often written about.

Check out Joel Salatin's books on chickens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:33 pm 

Golly!!! Maybe I should go into the duck farming. :D I love ducks! We do have wood ducks here on our farm but of course they stay back in the woods somewhere and probably closer to the stock pond. We have two stock ponds. I think ducks would like that. I can remember as a kid we had ducks and ate many duck eggs.

A goose! :shock: I don't know. I sure wouldn't want one chasing after me. And I could be in big trouble because I don't currantly have any 'butt armor'. lol Thanks for the name of the book. I'll have to read that. I will also do a search on the inernet and study up. :wink:

Dancey