It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:25 pm 

I would like to apply an application of compost tea over my entire lawn over time. I understand the principal of using chemical free water to brew the compost tea in. I assume appling the tea on the lawn with a watering can is acceptable or is there a better method. After applying the compost tea to the lawn, will watering it with City water that has chemicals in it harm the microbs in the tea? Any info or thoughts would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:07 pm 

Watering can is great for applying compost tea. It still needs to be filtered if you have any kind of a sprinkling diffuser on it. I have one with 500 holes in a big wide screw-on end piece. But those holes get clogged if I don't filter it good.

I think city water is a necessary evil. I don't add city water to the tea unless I blow the chlorine out of it with the air pump. Using a hose end sprayer just kills the microbes right before they go to work for you. It's a concern.

I'm looking for a charcoal filter that screws onto the faucet and the hose screws on to that. I understand they make them just for gardening use. I suppose I could make one, even a refillable one, out of PVC pipe and a few fittings. I need to look into that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:15 pm 

If a properly brewed compost tea is applied to the yard on let's say Monday. The yard is in dire need of watering on the next Friday, if city water is used that contains chemicals, does this kill the microbs that were applied on Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:23 pm 

I'm pretty sure I would be safe in saying that any application of chlorinated water kills some surface microbes. Does it kill those you applied earlier in the week? Maybe some of them. I think it is a good idea to wait a few days to water.