It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The U.S. agricultural industry can now produce unlimited quantities of meat and grains at remarkably cheap prices. But it does so at a high cost to the environment, animals and humans. Those hidden prices are the creeping erosion of our fertile farmland, cages for egg-laying chickens so packed that the birds can't even raise their wings and the scary rise of antibiotic-resistant bacteria among farm animals. Our energy-intensive food system uses 19% of U.S. fossil fuels, more than any other sector of the economy. And perhaps worst of all, our food is increasingly bad for us, even dangerous, causing rising obesity rates and food safety issues in America. Some people say organic or local food is more expensive, but is it really? With all these things we're learning about the food system, it seems that we can either pay the farmer, or we can pay the hospital.

Time's Aug. 31, 2009, "The Real Cost of Cheap Food"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:33 am 

Personally, I'd rather pay the farmer. I go to a local dairy for raw milk and pastured eggs. They also sell their own beef and pork, humanely raised on organic feeds, etc.

Veggies and fruits, on the other hand, have been difficult to find around here other than the supermarket, and not much selection there. I was spoiled living in Oregon for 15 years, with weekly (sometimes thrice-weekly) farmers markets overflowing with beautiful food of all kinds. The couple of farmers markets I've tried here in Georgia have disappointed -- standard squash and stuff, not much of it, and it never looks fresh. I pretty much only eat what I can grow, with necessary exceptions.

This winter put an end to my winter greens garden for awhile. The lettuce is still alive, but not growing. Other things may also be alive but I haven't checked under the Reemay and straw. I'm hoping they'll perk back up once (and if!) this cold, snowy winter leaves us.