It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Oak Tree & woodpeckers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:32 pm 

I live in Montell, Texas.
I have a 40 ft. Oak Tree that is very old. Not as well leafed out like the surronding oak trees nearby. The woodpeckers are pecking the bark off both the trunk and limbs at a rapid rate. This is the only tree they are pecking on out of 25 large oak trees.
Is there anything I can spray on the tree that will keep the woodpeckers away. I have a sprayer that I can saturate the tree trunk and limbs.
Thanks.....Norm Tester

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:27 am 

The reason they are pecking is because of the insects inside. The insects are inside, and the bark peeling off because the tree is in decay. Even if you got the birds to go away, it wouldn't change the state of the tree.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:03 pm 

Thanks...I'll just leave the tree alone and hopefully it will live a few more years.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:15 am 

I am satisfy with the reply. Woodpeckers foraging in a oak tree, either for insects or sap.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:45 pm 

As the previous poster said, the woodpeckers are definitely a symptom of a bigger problem. I recommend trying the sick tree treatment described on dirtdoctor.com. If you can get the tree healthy, the insects should go away and the woodpeckers will start attacking your next weakest tree :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:50 am 

If you care about your tree, don't just give up and let it die. You may be able to do some things to help it.

Does it have a flower bed underneath it?
Or anything else that is interfering with the drip zone/root zone?
Can you see the root flare?
Has the grade of the location been changed?
How long has the tree had problems?

The reason I ask is because we bought a house that has a large oak tree that we want. When we moved in, the base of the tree was smothered by a raised bed surrounded in brick. I am not certain, but I suspect it had been this way for at least 5 years, and maybe longer. Up to 10, since that's how long the previous owners had the house, and they built the raised bed.

The tree was losing bark, had limbs dying, most -- if not all -- of the joints were ant infested and oozing sap, there were long gashes down the length of the trunk that oozed sap and had insects crawling around in them, and moths were boring into the trunk and those bored holes were also oozing sap.

Now, 2 years later (and a LOT of work later), I am starting to have hope that our tree is going to make it. :D :D :D

When I first started wondering if the tree could be saved, I read everything I could find on this site about tree health and sick trees.

First, I removed the raised bed. We also removed a wooden deck that was installed within a few feet of the tree. (We now have a ground-level stone patio that does not encroach so far onto the roots/drip zone of the tree).

Then I aerated the soil -- manually -- but I did it. Then (except for Zeolite), I applied the amendments recommended in Step 4 of this article: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garde ... n/id/2205/

I also applied Garrett Juice (but I've only done that once).

I bought Tree Gunk Goop at Redenta's but have never gotten around to applying it. :oops: Maybe I'll actually do that someday, too. My thought was to apply it to the borer holes and the gashes on the trunk.

Last, and I add to this all the time, I collect pine needles that fall from the trees of several neighbors up and down my street. I've covered the root/drip zone in a thick layer of pine needles, partially completed organic compost, and leaves. We also stay off of the root/drip zone of the tree as much as possible and we don't dig or plant on top of it.

Next post has the results.

Take time to stop and smell the flowers!
(or... as my ladybug refrigerator magnet says
"take time to stop and eat the flowers!" :D)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:58 am 

Over the last year, all of the oozing gashes on the main trunk of the tree have closed up and I can't even tell where they used to be.

There were rotted places down at the root flare where insects were chewing and it almost looked like they were eating the main roots of the tree itself.

Those are all gone and bark has re-grown.

We have fewer moths (and fewer holes bored in the tree) and the joints are healing up. Not as many ants, and hardly any sap dripping from the joints at all any more. In fact, now that I'm writing this, I don't remember the last time I saw any drops of sap. :D

AND, best of all, we have NO MORE WOODPECKERS. I have noticed that the woodpeckers are in the trees of the neighbors all around us, but not in ANY of our trees.

We have been on a 100% organic program for over 2 years, and helping our tree by treating it to the sick tree treatment seems to be turning the tide.

Hope you're able to save your tree, too!

Take time to stop and smell the flowers!
(or... as my ladybug refrigerator magnet says
"take time to stop and eat the flowers!" :D)