It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Puree veggie scraps?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:21 pm 

Has anyone tried grinding up those potato peels, apple cores, and other kitchen scraps before adding to your compost? My wife would shoot me if I started using her nice KitchenAid blender for such a purpose, but I can get an el cheapo blender from Walmart for less than 20 bucks.

Seems like it would have the same effect on the as shredding leaves does before tossing them in the pile.

What do y'all think? Am I putting too much effort into this? Since composting is my latest obcession, I'm thinking I might be... :?:

Post subject: Re: Puree veggie scraps?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:58 pm 

First time I tried that I was so revolted by the end product that it took me years to try it again. That being said, I've done it a few times this year so I could put it into my existing veggie beds for some 'quick' composting. I just dug grooves and poured it in, covered it up, and it disappeared fairly fast. I don't know how much good it did -- but don't think it could have hurt.

For the compost piles, however, I just toss everything in. I do try to cut things quite roughly into smaller pieces, but don't spend much time doing so. I still bury kitchen refuse, mostly to keep the local groundhogs somewhat at bay, but toss garden trimmings on top of a less-finished pile whole.

My two piles aren't hot -- I just don't have the right mix of stuff available to make it hot, but it's still turning into beautiful soil filled with earthworms, so something must be working. There was a good bit of heat last summer when I'd toss grass clippings in, but not now.

Post subject: Re: Puree veggie scraps?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:32 pm 

Location: California, San Joaquin Valley - home of 105* summers, foggy winters.
You can, if you wish. The "revolting" factor would get me first, so it's not how I do things.

Some people collect "dead" pumpkins from the neighbors after Halloween, and it's easier to puree them so they can be stored frozen in blocks and then added in controlled doses.

But, yeah, It would be polite to pick up a cheapo blender instead of using your wife's snazzy Kitchen Aid.