It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wild Flower Seed Farm
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:02 pm 

For those who don't know where to find their favorite wild flower seeds; ya'll can log onto www.wildseedfarms.com

Their farm is in the Hill Country near Fredericksburg, Tx. Ask them to send you a catalog.

I picked up my BlueBonnets for the Fall. The new one is Maroon and White. It's called Alamo Fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:39 pm 

Native American Seed Co. is a much better place to get seed. They, as apposed the to one you mentioned, are totally organic and deal strictly with native plants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:51 pm 

:oops: Gee, Sorry...Thought I'd just keep it in Texas.

I can care for the seeds and plants organicaly. Harvest from them will then meet standards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:50 pm 

Been to the wild seed farm lately. Amazing place to see. Went at the start of Spring for the bluebonnet show and lately to see the red poppies/larkspur show. They have many selections and yep I'm from Texas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:53 pm 

8)
Watermaker:

Glad you went. What a structure they built out of Cedar Logs. That's just like me; instead of looking at the flowers, my nose is into how things are built.

Larkspur plants are neat but sure can get out of hand. Neighbor's have about a 1/4 acre of their yard in Larkspur. They let it go to seed each year then mow rather than pulling the roots. Result, not much grass will grow nicely. But what the heck, if they like it that way, why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:44 am 

ZIPPER wrote:

I can care for the seeds and plants organicaly. Harvest from them will then meet standards

You will have much better results by using organic seeds. http://www.seedsource.com/
They are in Junction,Texas.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:04 pm 

Zipper really liked the place. Log structures were pretty and the fields of color were outstanding. Organic or not. Don't have a problem with buying from 'em. Enjoy seeing where people spend time making things look attractive. Many people were there while we visited the place. Parking lot was full both times. No I'm not owner nor have any interest in the place, but do enjoying seeing something pretty and will give credit where it's due.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:12 pm 

organic1 wrote:
ZIPPER wrote:

You will have much better results by using organic seeds. http://www.seedsource.com/
They are in Junction,Texas.

Nadine:

I'll let you know how well the seeds from Wild Flower Seed Co. turn out.

If their seeds are poor, I don't know how they stay in business.

I checked their web site and they do not have the Alamo Fire (red/white) bluebonetts I purchased at WSF.

WSF is more in our temperate / soil zone in SA Tx.

Maybe you need to work on them. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:04 pm 

I have never seen a red and white bluebonnet. Is it in the lupine species? There is a pretty bluebonnet type wildflower in the Big Bend area of Texas which is purple and white. The lupinus havardii grows to 3 feet tall!

Far as I know the Native American Seed Company has been in business for a while. Yes, it is true that they would not be in business long if they sold bad seeds. Capitalism is great is it not?

Please let me know what you find.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:20 pm 

organic1 wrote:
I have never seen a red and white bluebonnet. Is it in the lupine species? There is a pretty bluebonnet type wildflower in the Big Bend area of Texas which is purple and white. The lupinus havardii grows to 3 feet tall!

Please let me know what you find.

Organic 1:

The Alamo Fire bluebonnet has been in development about 20 years by Jerry Parson. It was found around San Antonio, Tx.

Check the web site for www.wildseedfarms.com and it may be shown there or order the catalogfor a picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:50 pm 

Thanks! It sure is pleasing to the eye. Beautiful, but it does seem particular about where it wil flourish. And I just have a bit of difficulty purchasing merchandise from a company who also sells synthetic herbicides.
Oh, I admit I am guilty of the same. I've purchased plants from Wal Mart, Home Depot and Lowes. But I experience such better luck with the plants I purchase from Green Mama's or Redenta's.

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:43 am 

organic1 wrote:
Thanks! It sure is pleasing to the eye. Beautiful, but it does seem particular about where it wil flourish. And I just have a bit of difficulty purchasing merchandise from a company who also sells synthetic herbicides.
Oh, I admit I am guilty of the same. I've purchased plants from Wal Mart, Home Depot and Lowes. But I experience such better luck with the plants I purchase from Green Mama's or Redenta's.

Organic 1:

Glad you like the appearance of the Alamo Fire.

My grounds and landscape have been chem-free for 10 years now that I back in SA. However, I'm not a 'purest' as I still buy veggies at the store that are not grown organicaly much like you still use suppliers that are not with it (us) yet.

I look at it this way; if I can't find something else (seeds) any where else I'll buy it and culture the crop oganically and share the seeds with others.

It would be interesting to see if the Alamo Fire could be encouraged to grow futher North in Texas.

Thanks for your time to reply.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:41 pm 

Founded over 21 years ago, Native American Seed harvests and sells only the seeds native to our eco-regions. Here you will find no promotion of 'exotic' plants that are from Morocco, Paraguay, Brazil or Europe. Know that African daisy and bermudagrass are from the other side of the planet. Crimson clover, baby's breath, corn poppy and dame's rocket are from Europe. Train your eye to recognize the exotics and their consequences.

With simple truths, it's possible to make clear choices. Native seeds belong in your landscape. If you need help knowing what native seeds are right for you, our customer care representatives are ready to help!

For a free current catalog or to place an order online, visit our website - www.seedsource.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:56 pm 

Apparently, according to Fey, "when you lose everything," referring to '30 Rock' getting shut out at the awards ceremony, "You have so much time to go to the parties.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:41 pm 

Native American Seed Company is a great source for seeds! They have a great catalog or you can visit them at http://www.seedsource.com as mentioned above.

One of the things I really appreciate is the map they have with the different eco-regions: http://www.seedsource.com/images/NAScat ... eetweb.pdf

The germination results from seeds I have purchased from them are so much better than from seeds I have purchased elsewhere!

There are also many great articles at http://www.seedsource.com. If you have not yet visited the website, I encourage you to do so!

The Laws of Ecology: