It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Strangled Root Flares
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:16 pm 

I'm new to the forum, but I just received my 'dirt doctor' newsletter about Root Flares and realized that this was my 4 year old Chinquapin's problem. I've spent all day carefully excavating dirt, only to find a total confused root system. When the tree was purchased, we were told to cut away the large tub and plant the tree level with the dirt in the tub, which we did. I now find the when the tree was little and transplanted into a container, it appears that the roots were wound around the base of the tree, then covered with dirt. I've removed the smaller roots but the large remaining roots have grown around/into the base of the tree. Finding the actual root flare is close to impossible. Any suggestions as to what I should do now. I think my tree wins the Poster Child award for problems.ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:13 am 

Excellent question - I'd like to know the answer too. I've never messed with root flares before, so I'm a little curious. I always thought that the process seemed too easy and that if I ever attempted it, that it would be a complicated case like yours.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:34 am 

I did find out something from a retired extension agent working out of A&M University.

He sent these instructions:
"Wait until fall-1st of October and cut 1 or 2 of the roots girdling the trunk. I also might go the edge of the original root ball and dig with a post hole digger down at the edge of the root ball, cutting the root ball and encouraging roots to spread from there. Go down as deep as the original root ball. Again in spring do the opposite side."

I'm going to try these and see what happens. I've since discovered that another tree from the same nursery and planted like the first one, also has the same problem. I'll either end up with thriving trees next year or a yard full of dead trees. Between now and then I think I'll spend a lot of time talking to both trees and saying little prayers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:51 am 

Something I read on internet said that if you cut a girdling root that the trunk had grown around, to not try to remove it and just leave it to rot out since trying to remove it would harm the trunk/flare more than just leaving it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:03 pm 

Nice photos. The confused roots on your oak are very common on most nursery grown trees. I think you've done your own research and are planning to do the right thing. Get a sharp chisel and a hammer and use them to gently remove the 1 or 2 girdling roots. Once you cut a piece of the girdling root away, I would go ahead and remove it. Also be patient, time is on your side. It appears you have already located the flair on this one. Once you remove the 1 or 2 biggest offenders, wait until next spring and see how the tree responds. I bet that is all you will have to do.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:29 pm 

I found an interesting example in downtown Zurich Switzerland this week. See picture below.

Attachments:
EMEA 4-12-2 013 (640x480) (480x360).jpg
EMEA 4-12-2 013 (640x480) (480x360).jpg [ 181.49 KiB | Viewed 7790 times ]