It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:28 pm 

From my readings, putting things on to St. Augustine to control Take-all, such as peat moss, which will increase it's acidity to a 6 -7 level is beneficial to eliminating this stuff.

Thus, my question - will spreading coffee grounds on top of the damaged areas, will that aid significantly in wiping out this fungus - since coffee grounds tend to be aciditic?? If so, at what rate do I apply?

Or would it be better to make a coffee tea and sprinkle it over the areas with a watering can?

I am looking for methods and materials that the most economical (free), yet is effective. I can get all the coffee grounds that I need from Starbucks. There are several within 3 to 4 miles of me that I visit each day. BTW, it is not just a store by store policy as to whether they give out the free coffee grounds - it is Company Policy that each store has to offer this as a service. You can go in and just ask, you do not have to buy anything. Often you have 'ask' if they have any available because the 'free coffee ground' bins that they have in each store are empty and they have not had time to refill them. Suggestion: it is Best to go ask when it is Not the 'busy' time of day for them - early morning, noon, or getting off work crowd.

tk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:14 pm 

You don't say where you live but assuming you live in Texas, simply using peat moss on the soil will not affect the pH. Our limestone soils are going to have a pH of 8.0+ until the entire 800 feet depth is fully dissolved and washed away.

Coffee grounds are not acidic. Used coffee grounds have had boiling water poured over them which washes any acidity away into the beverage. So while the beverage might be acidic, the remaining grounds are neutral.

However, coffee grounds do grow a very beneficial fungus called Trichoderma (try koh DER mah). The Trichoderma fungus is predatory on other fungi like the ones that cause turf disease. So the use of used coffee grounds would be beneficial but not for the reason you were thinking. YAY!

I usually have good luck with Starbucks right after school gets out in the middle of the afternoon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:02 am 

Thank you for you advice and additional information. I will proceed with putting down coffee grounds for the reason that you said. I did not know that it would become neutral after coffee was made. But the info about 'how' it could have a benefical effect explains a lot.

..Mike