It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: annuals
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:50 pm 

We have been planting annuals in our two large front yard Dallas flower beds for years but they always struggle. One has to get the water right, the soil right and then when it hits 105 all bets are off. great to have the color in the spring & fall (think we had impatients in this spring), but the replanting each fall and spring is getting expensive and by mid summer or winter things get pretty shaky. I mean they dont really look very good half way through the season.

What about putting something more permanent in that will withstand heat and cold year round and not require constant semi annual buying and replanting?
Considering azelas which we have all over other parts of the yard and do pretty well year round. Yes they require maint. and installation but seem to hold up better once in. you do get and occasional dead one that has to be replaced, but you aren't buying a whole new batch twice a year. Sun is ok there not great. someone suggested dropping in a couple of small flowering crepe mertel trees.Need something that can withstand the year round stresses and have attractive foliage when not in flower. What about coral bells,thunberg or knock out roses?
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Just need a good year round plant--even a bush beats what we are doing now!
Thanks,
FTT

Post subject: Re: annuals
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:42 am 

The area in question is mostly shade?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:55 pm 

Yes it is pretty shady. I would guess they get maybe 2-3 hours of indirect sun per day. Both of these beds are on either side of the side walk leading to the front door of the house. they sit directly under a massive oak tree. They are roughly 30-35 feet in area each--circular.
Thanks for any ideas!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:57 am 

My fav perennials for shade: Larger plants that love the shade would be American Beautyberry and Turk's cap. Smaller would be cedar sage, pigeonberry, and all varieties of huechera (coral bells). They have a nice selection of leaf colors, check them out. I also love to use different varieties of thyme in my shady areas. Perennial ferns; wood fern, autumn ferns and japanese painted ferns are lovely. Also, do a google serach for texas perennials for shade and see what else you get.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:22 am 

Thanks Sandi!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:32 pm 

I've had good success with mini roses, but it was a sunny location. They're great because they have the appearance, size, and color of annuals, yet only require a one-time planting.