It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Runny Nose? Allergies?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:07 pm 

I believe that I may have allergies. I don't think I have ever kept track of when I get them but I sure do have a running nose and am sneezing a lot.

Share your favorite home remedies for a runny allergy nose. I'll probably try them all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:28 pm 

A favorite remedy is often a bandaid and does not promote healing within your body. The best strategy would be to look at your overall diet and lifestyle. Your total toxic load influences how your body reacts to additional toxic stresses such as allergens. Do you eat organically grown foods? Do you eat unprocessed foods without artificial ingredients as provided in nature, do you cook from scratch? Do you limit your sweets which should not be refined but natural such as pure maple syrup and raw honey? Do you drink enough filtered room temperature water? Are you organic indoors (household cleaners, etc.) and out? There are many remedies and dietary changes one can make to ease allergy symptoms. It depends on your specific circumstances and purifying what you put in your body could be the best remedy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:37 pm 

I'm already on the path to trying to adhere to most of these things (although I'd not heard of room temperature where water is concerned - have to look into that). All in all I'd say I'm 80% there.

I'm definitely aware that any remedy that someone could give me in the confines of this messageboard would be more of a short term symptom masher, rather than a true "cure", as it were. I realize that the only cure is a healthier me.

So I guess I should have been more specific that I was looking for a short term remedy for my symptoms, rather than a real long term cure for allergies. It's just the stuffy nose I need to get rid of at the moment. Makes it hard to want to get out and exercise and cook for myself if I'm feeling stuffy and have painful sinuses. I was just hoping for an organic solution for that. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:10 pm 

I am SO happy to hear that you realize a healthy you is the key. I have some notes on healthy eating habits from some classes I taught last year if you are interested, just pm me. Be aware that the quality of the food ingredients that you buy is extremely important too - it is hard to get much of anything healthy at a conventional grocery store though some are doing better.

Room temperature water is very important for gut health. Cold water quenches your digestive fire and can cause a lot of health issues. Also you should drink your water between meals, only have a couple ounces with meals because you don't want to dilute your digestive juices.

Some dietary suggestions are to eat anti-inflammatory foods and things that are drying and don't promote mucus. Garlic and vitamin C are both anti-inflammatory. One of the best remedies would be homemade chicken rice soup with lots of garlic (freshly pressed). Fresh kiwi, oranges and pomegranates are all very high in vitamin C. Fresh basil and parsley are both diuretic herbs that would be healing. Dairy, especially ice cream, would be extremely bad for you. Echinacea, oregano oil, grapefruit seed extract, and olive leaf extract are all great immune boosters. You can build a tolerance to echinacea so you don't want to use it for more than a week at a time. Hot herbal teas with lemon and raw honey are also great options. For sinus pressure, a warm washrag placed on the sinuses works wonders. Hope some of these things help, but try to listen to your body and let the inconvenience of your symptoms help you get to 100%. Mary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:15 pm 

One other comment. As you clean up your diet, your body will start to detox, which can result in symptoms similar to those you described or will be like having the flu. Be careful suppressing this cleansing, which if severe, can be called a 'cleansing crisis' or a 'healing crisis'. Be aware and observant and investigate. That is why healing, immune building foods are so important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:46 pm 

Local Honey is said to help with allergies. Use only raw, unprocessed honey as pasteurization will kill the beneficial properties. Make sure it is gathered locally to get the maximum benefit from your area (allergy causing things in the air).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:59 pm 

Good topic. I agree with trying to identify things like dairy that cause mucus in your body and rid it from your self best you can.
The is a book by Arnold Arahrat called the mucus free diet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:44 pm 

Hi,

I'm definitely aware that any remedy that someone could give me in the confines of this messageboard would be more of a short term symptom masher, rather than a true "cure", as it were. I realize that the only cure is a healthier me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:10 pm 

tinysmom ,

I went dairy free and almost meat free & this included no white bread (which is what paper machea paste glue is derrived from).
The dairy is pure garbage by and large as it is a producer of bacterias and mucus that makes the body constantly repulse its bypropduct the body reacts to. Meats are difficult for the body to propcess and are dead food once burnt & destroyed AKA cooked, yielding little worth for the cost-efforts to digest.