It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Weeping Cherry Tree
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:36 pm 

I am a new homeowner with no yard experience, and had landscaper plant a weeping cherry in my front yard back in late May. It receives almost all day sun, facing west. It gets watered 2x a week along with the rest of the yard; seems to be developing some new growth the past 2 weeks. All of a sudden the last couple of days, the leaves are turning yellow and it looks as though it is dying. What have I done/what could be wrong? I am from Ohio, where these trees are common, but are they "survivors" of summer heat down here? I assumed that since the nursery (Southwest) carried it, I would be ok planting it. Do they need more or less water than my Nellie Stevens and quince, which is also looking a bit straggly.

I think something needs to be done now, but I don't know what.

Post subject: Re: Weeping Cherry Tree
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:30 am 

I'm unfamiliar with weeping cherry trees; however, if I had a suburban lot, I wouldn't take up space with fruit trees - I'd go with something more quality.

Also, don't trust the home garden centers. Lowe's and Home Depots are notorious for carrying plants tha simply don't grow in some areas.

What city are you in?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:11 am 

Hi LostCreek - I live in Forney in Fox Hollow Estates. The tree was bought from Southwest Nursery, who is very reputable; I had a different landscaper do my backyard and it looks really great - never lost even one plant since I had it done two years ago. This person didn't have the expertise and wasn't well versed in all types of plants, but I thought that someone like Southwest would have warned me.... I moved here from Ohio two years ago and we have weeping cherries back there- guess this is more of a sentimental planting vs. practical.

If it goes totally, I suppose I should just put in a live oak. I have two other fairly large "red" maples in the front now. This would be near the corner of the garage by the driveway between the other two trees. I also have two Nellie Stevens in the front.

Any other advice on what to do?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:17 am 

If it dies, go with a Burr Oak or Chinquapin Oak. Both have broader leaves than the Live Oak, and your house will want a decidious tree on its west side in order to let winter sun help warm it.

Other than that - no advice. I'm no expert.