It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:21 pm 

Well, my dad's out in the country between Joshua & Cleburne, in sandy red soil w/ lots of gophers(but that's another woe). He's been raising blackberries for about 5 yrs now & had some come ripe that are mostly deep purple, but w/ some of the individual cells of the berry actually almost white. He's not organic (but is hard-headed--I've been trying to convert him for years), but doesn't use any sprays on these plants. They're one of the Indian names, thornless, well-established & the whole berry tastes fine. Any ideas??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:11 pm 

Sweetcent-
I don't have an answer for you but I am totally organic, live miles away from your dad and have the same problem. My first thought is not enough water. They need a lot of water during the berry stage and it is hard to get enough to them. Let's hope someone has an answer and there is a fix.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:21 pm 

We have grown both the thorny and the thornless blackberries. Didn't have a problem with the "white" parts on the thorny varieties. Several white ones is not much to put up with considering we don't have to deal with the thorns anymore! :lol:

We seem to have berries with white parts early in the ripening season and not so many later. The blackberry is actually made up of lots of individual berries on each big berry. I'm wondering if some of the individual berries are not totally pollinated and that's why they don't develop any color. I also have some berries with one side dark and nice and the other side is just seeds. Any answer for that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:00 am 

I wonder if stinkbugs like tomatoes, too. I have them on my tomatoes, I've noticed.

Would blackberries grow just south of Dallas? I've been wanting to try them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:14 pm 

flowerlover

Blackberries grow just about anywhere in Texas, the east half is best. They grow wild in far east Texas. Raspberries however...
Tony M