It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:01 pm 

This past week many small random brown/dry areas appeared on my new grass. I noticed these patches starting after I cut it for the first time last weekend. Do you all think that mowing it too close caused all these brown/dry areas? Or do you all think that bugs/disease could be the cause?

As some background, I put the St. Augustine in about 3 weeks ago. I had been watering 45 min each zone/day ( after reading this forum I found that was wrong, so I will change that).

I put organic corn meal (50lb over 5,000 sq. ft.) last night then watered deeply. I also ordered some beneficial nematodes. I was hoping to cover all my bases by doing this. What else can I do to make my new grass recover and stay healthy?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:27 am 

1. Mow high
2. Water deeply but as infrequently as possible
3. Stick to the organic plan

I watered last night for the first time in 2 1/2 weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:10 am 

You have probably already applied the nematodes, but they need a LOT of moisture. The best time to apply them is during a rainstorm that is likely to last a few more days.

Mowing in the heat will cause the browning, but water will cure it. You should have seen it come back around. If you are in direct sunlight, next time try to mow about an hour before sundown. I also like to water after I mow. Mowing in the summer is very stressful to the grass. The longer you can go without mowing, the better. Wait until your spouse complains :shock:

45 min per day is good for new sod for a few weeks. Now you just wean it off and onto the deep/infrequent plan.