It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Squirrels
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 6:56 am 

I have squirrels digging little holes all over my yard. I have used Cayenne Pepper mixed with corn meal as an extender to keep them out, but it only lasts until it gets wet from rain or lawn watering. The Cayenne pepper is NOT an inexpensive item 8 oz was $3.50.
What else can I do?

Yard Nut :cry:

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:50 am 

You can buy large containers of different kinds of pepper at Sams pretty economically. That said, we have not found it to be an effective squirrel deterrent. Another approach is to purchase a cage trap and "relocate" the squirrels. According to a squirrel expert in Richardson, they must be relocated at least 7 miles away or they will return.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:33 pm 

Yard Nut,
I live here in Burleson and have a trap you can borrow if you need it.
Or you can run down to TSC and get one, I think they are about 15 bucks.
If you need mine pm me a message and I'll get in touch with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 6:44 am 

TC wrote:
Yard Nut,
I live here in Burleson and have a trap you can borrow if you need it.
Or you can run down to TSC and get one, I think they are about 15 bucks.
If you need mine pm me a message and I'll get in touch with you.

I would like to borrow your trap.
I live on Alsbury. E-mail me at donmk8@earthlink.net.

Don

Post subject: animal trapping
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:05 pm 
Its my understanding that trapping and relocated animals such as squirrels, raccoons, etc. tends to be detrimental. Once the animal is removed from its known territory and placed in another, it may not be able to adjust, find food, etc. Many of these relocated animals end up dying (or coming back if you don't take them far). Anyone else have any info on the subject?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:43 pm 

Leslie,
What is the alternative?
Kay

Post subject: Re: Squirrels
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:05 am 

Kay Young wrote:
Leslie,
What is the alternative?
Kay

Squirrel Stew. Tasty!

Now we eat chickens, cows, pig, fish, shrimp, etc.... so why not squirrel?

John C.

Post subject: Re: Squirrels
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:13 pm 

chapster wrote:
Kay Young wrote:
Leslie,
What is the alternative?
Kay

Squirrel Stew. Tasty!

Now we eat chickens, cows, pig, fish, shrimp, etc.... so why not squirrel?

John C.

:!: John, you're right on. Squirrels were part of my diet while growing up on the farm.

:!: Kay: Alternative may be to have dogs around. Mine keep them out of the yard and digging up my stuff.

:?: Leslie: Don't they relocate other wild animals like deer, horses, birds, the list could get quite long. They all adjust, just so long as they're not relocated to the freeway. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:32 am 

For some reason or another it seems that squirrels and armadillos both try to go back to where they were. Cats, too. That's why if one has an outdoor cat, then one keeps the cat inside for two weeks so it does not try to return to the previous residence. Often, they will get run over by trying to cross the road(s) on their way.
Now, cats I would never do this to. I love cats. They are not a nuisance as squirrels and armadillos are to most folks. The only humane thing I can think of to get rid of them is instant lead poisoning. It may seem harsh, but would you rather it get hit and die a slow and painful death? Or even worse, starve to death? Just be careful of your local laws and ordinances.
If anyone knows of a haven for squirrels and armadillos, or if you like them so much and want to start one, let us know and we will send them your way. :)

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:42 pm 

My county has a hunting season for squirrels, just like deer. Any other time of the year it is illegal to shoot them (go figure).

Post subject: squirrels by by
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:28 pm 

Nadine:

I assume you agree with myself and organic1, regarding the relocation of squirrels, given your quote, in part, from Ernest Callenbach "Everything Goes Somewhere".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:42 pm 

I have four dogs - one of them has actually caught and killed two squirrels, but my large Red Oak tree in the back yard is still home to a couple of squirrel families. I have resigned myself to little holes in my lawn and volunteer oak seedlings coming up all over the place..but to keep my tulip and daffodil bulbs from becoming squirrel breakfasts, I just planted each one with a "toupee" of dog hair, and a healthy dollop of Louisiana hot sauce. To keep them away from the tomatoes, I sprayed with Mr. Garrett's pepper/garlic insect repellent...and to keep them out of the vegetable garden, I mulch with dog hair. The scent keeps the bunnies and squirrels away.
As for keeping them away from everything else, I just let them eat all the wild bird feed they want. It is fairly cheap, and it keeps them out of the peach trees and the plum trees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:09 pm 

Doc:

I forgot what breed of dogs you have. :roll:

Do you think the scent from the hair of one breed would be different from another? My Beagle (hunting breed) loves/hates squirrels but the Blue Healer (hearding) could care less about them.

If one needs dog hair, would pet care centers be a good source or would one be asking for trouble? One does not know where that pooch has been!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:24 pm 

I was reading on another list about a trap for catching chipmonks. They take a 5-gallon bucket with 2.5 gallons of water in it. Sprinkle unhulled sunflower seeds on the surface (they float). Then lay a board across it so the chipmonks can walk over and see the seeds in the water. Put a few seeds on top of the board so they get the idea. One person reported catching 5 per day for several days. Too bad they can't swim. I guess he relocated them to the compost pile.

I wonder if the same idea would work for tree rats? The only reason I see why not is the bucket isn't tall enough. Maybe an 18-gallon Rubbermaid bin would work better. I know squirrels can jump pretty far but can they still jump when their tails are soaking wet and they're up to their shoulders in water?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:14 pm 

If you have trouble with squirrels digging in your garden, put down lava gravel. Not lava sand, but lava gravel or lava rock. It helps keep cats from digging as well. 8)

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next