It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ants
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:48 pm 

:( Hello I need help, my whole yard is infested with ants. How do I get rid of them? Thanks, Linda

Post subject: Re: ants
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:17 am 

Fire ants right?

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:52 am 

same problem here. except big ones, walking all along the wooden fencing.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:05 am 

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/faq/letter/A/

scroll down to about halfway, there are many articles listed for ant treatment.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:28 am 

How long have you been on a fully organic program in your garden? Usually after a few months of organics with no synthetics, large populations of any insect seem to go away. Why? Because the birds, toads, lizards, and geckos return to maintain insect population control.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:56 pm 

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
How long have you been on a fully organic program in your garden? Usually after a few months of organics with no synthetics, large populations of any insect seem to go away. Why? Because the birds, toads, lizards, and geckos return to maintain insect population control.

I started an organic program approximately a year ago. I work outside the US and am gone for months at a time and last year, during the drought in Houston, my wife didn't water well and we lost almost half our lawn. This year we were plagued with fire ants. Early Spring I applied compost tea (home made,) dry molasses, Medina Growin Green and nematodes (I had also installed an irrigation system last Fall.) The problem is the ants started heading into the home so I resorted to "Suspend SC" for perimeter treatment which stopped the ants dead in their tracks. We still have several mounds, though I believe we've eradicated a large number in the yard with the organic treatment. It makes total sense to me to nurture the soil but in my case it has taken more than a few months of organics and I'm still working on the ant problem (we have lots of frogs, lizards and wasps.)

Jon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:05 pm 

Hi jerlands,
Your problem might be different from the OP. In fact it sounds like you have yours under control. We don't know what kind of ants the OP has. It makes a difference in how you treat them. There are protein ants and sugar ants. We need more info.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:06 pm 

I did find out the type of ant we had. I mixed peanut butter to attract the protein ants and sugar to attract the sugar ants. Then I discover this product and thought I would give it a try! So far so good with bugs and other small fly insects. They were all dead in two days. No more pesky bugs at night or in the morning. I sprayed it directly on the mounds. So far no new mounds have come back.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:07 am 

I've been struggling with ants, type unknown, in my two raised beds all summer. I got them out of the first one by trying various means, but I think the one that worked was by drenching with a strong orange oil solution.

Yesterday, I pulled out the last growing thing in the other bed to prepare for fall, and had to deal with a mound I knew was there. I dug some of the soil out and turned it all under (I know, Howard says to leave it undisturbed, by mine is new and not 'ready'), and in the process dug deeply into their nest full of eggs. Instead of thinking quickly and putting these into a bucket for removal elsewhere, I just scattered them all over the 4x8 bed surface. It was fun to watch them panic, I must say.

This morning I went outside prepared to dig them out as I should have yesterday, but I disturbed the top inch or two of the entire bed, and not an ant was to be found. Again, I did several things yesterday so don't know which worked in the end. To fight the ants, I used a gallon of water which probably had an ounce of orange oil and simply scattered this over the end of the bed where they'd been, right from the gallon jug. Later, I added some cottonseed meal and epsom salts to the top, and left it. I'm guessing the orange oil did they trick, but whatever worked, they have decamped and for the moment, I'm a happy ant-free camper.