It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:35 pm 

Hello-

Im fairly new to organic gardening. For over a year I have been consistent with synthetics. I started my organic program this month with a thorough amount of dried molasses. I plan to fertilize for my second treatment of the year (first with an organic) at the end of the month.

My question is what is the most desirable ORGANIC fertilizer for my Bermuda? I have a local feed store that stocks several types. I read on here of you guys using corn meal or gluten...what about the pre-blended types. Texas Tee, Natures guide, gardenville..just to name a few.

Thanks for any input.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:01 pm 

I use Soybean Meal at 15 lbs per 1000 Sq Ft.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:00 am 

whitenerj wrote:
I use Soybean Meal at 15 lbs per 1000 Sq Ft.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:12 pm 

What do you think about a blended fertilizer like Texas Tee?

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:10 pm 

I use either LadyBug or Medenia

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:09 pm 

NorthTXOrganics wrote:
What do you think about a blended fertilizer like Texas Tee?

Assuming you are referring the Maestro-Gro product, I've used it in the past. Worked OK I guess. I would consider using it again in the future if the price were right.

The ingredients from their website:

Quote:
Made with feather meal, alfalfa meal, soybean meal, wheat midds, corn meal, kelp meal, molasses, humates, yeast and compost Texas Tee will help achieve a healthy, safe and highly disease resistant turf.

Works great for container plants, trees, bushes, shrubs, and gardens.

40#’s per 4000 sqft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:50 am 

I was not impressed with Texas Tee or anything from Medina. I like plain old ordinary whole ground corn meal. Second choice is alfalfa pellets. Third choice, and only third because I did not realize I could buy it in San Antonio so I've never tried it, is soy bean meal. I have a few bags of stuff left over that I need to get rid of before trying the soy bean meal but people I trust swear by it. The application rate for all organic, grain-based fertilizers is 10-20 pounds per 1,000 square feet.

There is a lawn forum here if you want to visit and see what others are asking about. Many of the questions I find on the other forums are already answered in the lawn forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:46 pm 

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
I was not impressed with Texas Tee or anything from Medina. I like plain old ordinary whole ground corn meal. Second choice is alfalfa pellets. Third choice, and only third because I did not realize I could buy it in San Antonio so I've never tried it, is soy bean meal. I have a few bags of stuff left over that I need to get rid of before trying the soy bean meal but people I trust swear by it. The application rate for all organic, grain-based fertilizers is 10-20 pounds per 1,000 square feet.

There is a lawn forum here if you want to visit and see what others are asking about. Many of the questions I find on the other forums are already answered in the lawn forum.

Am I mistaken, or are Maestro-Gro (Texas Tee) and Medina two separate entities?

I have to agree that one of the most disappointing products I have ever tried (and I tried gallons of the stuff) is Medina's Soil Activator product. I believe I have expressed this in the past.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:09 am 

Yes they are two separate entities. I see what happened. reword: I have never been impressed by anything from Medina and I have not been impressed by Texas Tee by Maestro-Gro. I once thought my neighbor's lawn was beautiful in January because of the Texas Tee but found out through watching carefully and comparing with my lawn, the difference was the way she watered (once a week all year long).