It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Spots on my Cedar Elms
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:53 am 

On some of my small cedar elm trees we have had spots appear on the leaves which are about 1 inch in diameter and are not raised, sticky, or apparently from bugs. It is almost like a loss of color from within the leaves. What is it and what should we do to treat it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:20 pm 

What colour are the spots, how prevalent, and does it seem to be spreading?

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject: spots on cedar elms
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:46 am 

The spots are white. They are on all the leaves of a couple of trees, mainly the small ones. The bigger trees don't have the spots but have a brownish top coat to some of the leaves. I also noticed now that I have some white bugs that are fuzzy (some kind of aphid?) that are attaching themselves in little colonies on the new growth. I have sprayed with water, but they keep coming back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:06 pm 

In case it's a bad bug, you can always hit it with a good foliar feed that includes garlic/pepper tea to drive off the bugs.

Hit the area with the sick tree treatment and keep an eye on them.

Has anything changed in the environment there recently that might account for this?

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject: spots on cedar elms
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:33 am 

The only thing that has changed around them is that I put in a hummingbird garden near there. My lot is flat then drops down 10 feet so I have two backyard levels. The hummingbird garden is above where these trees are and in close proximity. My landscaper brought the plants in from South Texas for this garden and I think that is where we got the bugs from. I also planted some other plants I got from Calloways in the garden area around these trees, but they are prennials and did not require deep digging which might have caused root damage.